What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on April 11, 2013, 10:25:29 AM
I told you a bookworm forum was a good idea!

Yes, you did. It was a great idea.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on April 11, 2013, 11:04:42 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 11, 2013, 10:25:29 AM
I told you a bookworm forum was a good idea!

Yes, you did. It was a great idea.

You clearly missed my post!

Longdan

digni enim sunt interdicunt

son_of_montfort

Some of my favorites:

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson - probably my favorite sci-fi fantasy book, great beach reading, and I am really looking forward to the next one!

Wool and Dust by Hugh Howey - I just finished these, devoured them! Excellent books about a post-apocalyptic society.

My friend tells me I need to read Iain Bank's Culture novels, so I am starting on those. Unfortunately, Mr. Banks was recently diagnosed with terminal and late-stage cancer, with only months to live, so he said there would be no more books forthcoming.  :'( Terrible news and I feel bad for him and his family.

I also have several books on the Crusades that I have to read this summer to prepare for a Crusades and Hundred Years War class next spring. The big book is going to be God's War: A New History of the Crusades by Christopher Tyerman. It is a GIANT book and it seems VERY detailed and informative!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

It's ok.  I make up glory for myself in my head.

MetalDog

Tent, Feist's Riftwar Saga is excellent.  Magician Apprentice, Magician Master, Darkness at Sethanon and Silverthorn are the four titles that make up the series.  It was written by him after roleplaying it with his D&D group.  And I would go with the Belgariad over the Malloreon by Eddings, but it is essentially the same story told twice.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

The Malloreon also has all of the follow on books for the individual characters.  That being said I think I have a nostalgic view of the Belgariad   I read the series back in the day as they were released.  I can remember waiting and waiting for the next book to be released.

Bison

Piers Anthony also has some good fantasy series.  The Xanth series is at like 30 some odd books. 

However On a Pale Horse book 1 of the Incarnations of Immortality is pretty classic IMO.

MetalDog

I like the Xanth books, but the original five books of the Incarnations of Immortality are REALLY good.  They added a sixth on Satan and a seventh on God and they just weren't as good as the first five.

MetalDog

Oh, and I dug the Belgariad, too.  However, I found it after the books had all been published ;) I just went back and re-read it last year and enjoyed it again. 

Longdan

Quote from: Bison on April 11, 2013, 05:37:01 PM
The Malloreon also has all of the follow on books for the individual characters.  That being said I think I have a nostalgic view of the Belgariad   I read the series back in the day as they were released.  I can remember waiting and waiting for the next book to be released.

I liked the Belgariad well enough.  It was at least a multiderivative world.  The obscure prophesies by a mad prophet trope got old quick.
I remember feeling disjointed in time a bit.  Like a bunch of stuff happened thousands of years ago even though it could have been yesterday
and nothing happened at all for all the endless boring centuries until now when everybody just picked up their weapons and went at it again.
It certainly lacked "wow" moments.
Guy Gavriel Kay's books have a very real and very rich sense of time and place and culture which he has lifted straight out of historical analogues.
Except for his first books, his are my current fave.  Tigana actually made me cry.  Even Bison can't make me cry
digni enim sunt interdicunt

TheCommandTent

Thanks guys.  Lots of recommendations to sift through.  My reading list continues to grow.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

The Incarnations of Immorality is about a guy who takes over for Death.

MetalDog

On A Pale Horse is about a guy who takes over for Death.  the other four are War, Fate, Time and Mother earth.