What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Gus-
I don't know that Vlad is buy-worthy.  It only took me about 3 days to read.  And like I said, it's not a story you'll want to read multiple times like Game of Thrones or The Stand or something.  The story is very one-dimensional.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^I'm a big Vlad fan...have lots of fiction and history on him and his life and times. Eventually, one day I want to write my own bit on him.

For me it is worth it to buy and keep it forever and I can chalk it up to 'research.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 03, 2014, 05:58:10 PM
Starting on Tom Clancy's Debt of Honour - read it a couple of times but i want to take some of the battles from there - saipan and guam, the bomb run on the Japanese dams and the comanche attacks on the awacs vehicles and create them in Command

Not a bad book at all. I enjoyed all his earlier stuff. Without Remorse is a good 'un.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

Last week I grabbed several titles, including

- 1913: The Eve of War
- Raid on Truman
- Letters of Lt. Col. George Brenton Laurie
- Hitler's Last Secretary

...and several other 'free' books. I'm reading each of them off and on.

Still need to get through Ender's Game, dammit.

Toonces

Ok, then, Gus.  You'll have to post YOUR impressions when you're done, then.

And Banzai, you didn't nail the avatar this time dude.  Sorry.   :(   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Toonces on January 03, 2014, 08:00:24 PM
Ok, then, Gus.  You'll have to post YOUR impressions when you're done, then.

And Banzai, you didn't nail the avatar this time dude.  Sorry.   :(   8)

I know.  :-[

I was playing around with it on my iPad last week and it's not quite as impressive as I first thought it was.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

Something from flash Gordon in the background - the foreground.... Fk knows!

Bison

What is wrong with you people?  That is a classic clip from Flash Gordon.  Toward the very beginning of the movie, Flash is in Ming's court and grabs a football like object and uses it to beat up Ming's guards in an impromptu game of football.  That is the Hawkmen leader who secretly clubs one of Ming's guards in an attempt to help Flash embarrass Ming.  Good grief and you all call yourselves geeks and nerds.  Pah'leaze!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on January 03, 2014, 09:06:12 PM
What is wrong with you people?  That is a classic clip from Flash Gordon.  Toward the very beginning of the movie, Flash is in Ming's court and grabs a football like object and uses it to beat up Ming's guards in an impromptu game of football.  That is the Hawkmen leader who secretly clubs one of Ming's guards in an attempt to help Flash embarrass Ming.  Good grief and you all call yourselves geeks and nerds.  Pah'leaze!

Go, Bison, Go!  8)

undercovergeek

This thread and the bad movies one has shown there is an upper class of geek that doesn't watch crap films! :p

BanzaiCat

Excuse me...did you say "crap film" when referring to Flash Gordon?

You forgot to add the word "brilliant" to that. Or "awesome" if you feel like being a Yank about it.

Bison

The next thing to happen better not be someone being uninformed about another freaking classic:  Ice Pirates.

BanzaiCat