What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

^ Thanks, Azz.  Glad you agree.

And I seem to remember someone giving a shout out for the Zelazny, "Amber" omnibus.  Good on ya'!  I own it and love it!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GroggyGrognard

About halfway through Fatal Voyage by Dan Kurzman

Carry on gents,

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Martok

Quote from: OJsDad on June 13, 2012, 03:02:36 PM
@MARTOK You're finally reading How Firm a Foundation.  Great.  PM and let me know where you're at.  If you're up to where I think you are, then I whole heartedly agree.
PM sent. 

Quote from: OJsDad on June 13, 2012, 03:02:36 PM
If you go out to David Webers web site, www.davidweber.net, you can find a snippets section in the forums.  There, you can find the beginning parts of the next Safehold book, Midst Toil and Tribulation, along with other soon to be released books of his.  MTaT is due out in September of this year.
I already have his website bookmarked, but I (ironically) rarely visit it...mostly because I'm paranoid about spoilers.  :P 

I can't believe the next Safehold book is already coming out this fall (not that I'm complaining, of course).  That man is on a tear! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

Quote from: Martok on June 14, 2012, 11:23:33 AM
I can't believe the next Safehold book is already coming out this fall (not that I'm complaining, of course).  That man is on a tear!

Well, I wish he would write the next Hell's Gate book! It's an awesome premise:

http://www.amazon.com/Hells-Gate-Multiverse-Book-1/dp/1416509399

QuoteFrom Publishers Weekly
Magic and high tech collide in this exciting military SF novel from bestseller Weber (War of Honor) and Evans (Far Edge of Darkness), the first of a new series. Two human societies, the Sharona and the Union of Arcana, have evolved in parallel universes without encountering another civilization, human or otherwise. The Sharona exhibit a level of technology roughly analogous to the late 19th century, with psionic abilities thrown in for seasoning, but the Arcana have harnessed magical energies down to the consumer level. Astonishingly, it's the magical society that suffers the greater shock when one of their companies encounters a small Sharona civilian survey team and is almost annihilated by the enemy's repeating firearms. The authors treat both societies sympathetically and realistically, with human vices and virtues evenly distributed. The narrative bogs down slightly under the weight of the world building necessary for later installments, but is uncompromising in sacrificing even strong, sympathetic characters to the demands of the plot.

Did I mention there are dragons?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Shelldrake

I am working my way through Campbell's Lost Fleet books, having just finished the 3rd one in the series. So far I am really enjoying them. I am also reading the 2nd book in Mercedes Lackey's Secret World Chronicle which details the struggle between a diverse group of present day metas (superheroes) and mysterious invaders that include armoured Nazi troopers. Good stuff!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Staggerwing

Is that Mercedes Lackey book part of a series with many authors, or am I thinking of a different series? Something about Aces and Jokers, maybe?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Shelldrake

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 14, 2012, 04:15:50 PM
Is that Mercedes Lackey book part of a series with many authors, or am I thinking of a different series? Something about Aces and Jokers, maybe?

You are thinking about RR Martin's Wildcards series of books. This is different, although both deal with superheroes.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

OJsDad

Anyone read Destroyermen? 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

TheCommandTent

My parents are visiting this weekend and my dad brought me Into the Storm - A Study in Command by Tom Clancy w/ General Fred Franks Jr.  Any of you know if its worth a read?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Shelldrake

Quote from: OJsDad on June 23, 2012, 05:36:32 PM
Anyone read Destroyermen?

Yes, I read the first 3 books in the series and really enjoyed them.

Dean Edell

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm reading The Battle of Midway by Craig Symonds and really enjoying it.  It's light reading but there's a lot of interesting info in there that I wasn't previously aware of.

Now I just have to find a Midway game for PC that doesn't suck.  I've been eyeing up HPS's Midway but I'm not really a fan of Tiller's other games.  Anyone recommend it?  I'm more interested in the pre-contact search aspect than the nitty gritty of the battle itself.

Staggerwing

Not about Midway as such but a bit broader in scope- If you can find it: Task Force 1942. It seems to get better reviews now than when it was first released. The same game engine was used in 1942 Pacific Air War for the strategic portion of the sim.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 04, 2012, 04:45:30 PM
I'm reading The Battle of Midway by Craig Symonds and really enjoying it.  It's light reading but there's a lot of interesting info in there that I wasn't previously aware of.

Now I just have to find a Midway game for PC that doesn't suck.  I've been eyeing up HPS's Midway but I'm not really a fan of Tiller's other games.  Anyone recommend it?  I'm more interested in the pre-contact search aspect than the nitty gritty of the battle itself.

I'd recommend the original Complete Carriers At War if you can find a copy. I think NWS Online may have it in stock. It's an older game, but it will run on Windows XP without an emulator. Pre-contact search is major part of the game and a lot of fun really.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm looking for something current that I don't have to use DOSBox for.

mirth

You mean Win 7 current? If so, go with JTs Midway. It's supposed to be pretty good. I have it but haven't played it yet (part of my multi-year backlog).
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus