Hey Flight Simmers...

Started by Jarhead0331, March 30, 2017, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

It's a double edged sword. Better physics means harder for devs to get it right.

Skoop

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 05, 2017, 05:53:13 AM
I really like XP, but the quality of the aircraft still leaves some to be desired.
And Orbx scenery is just unprecedented IMO, even in relation to the HD mesh and World2XP mods for X-Plane.
If and when PMDG port their 737NG over to X-Plane I'll look into it more closely, but my experience is that even though the physics engine of Xplane is far superior to that of P3D, I feel P3D has a better all round package on offer still.

I feel the same way, as much I love xp11, I can't totally walk away from prepar and the fsx legacy because of the addons... I've just resorted to the fact that I'll do both sims. 

Jarhead0331

OMG! I actually was able to successfully start my engine on a cold block 52 from the ramp in Falcon BMS 4.33 u3!!! It only took about 45 minutes. It's a small breakthrough that helps my confidence in learning how to master this sim.

One small step for Jarhead, one giant leap for Jarheadkind.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

^ That must feel really good.  Truth:  I've never ramp started an aircraft in any version of Falcon 4.0.   :-[

Good for you, man.  Seriously.   :bd:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on October 24, 2017, 08:01:49 PM
^ That must feel really good.  Truth:  I've never ramp started an aircraft in any version of Falcon 4.0.   :-[

Thanks! Coming from you, I take that as extremely high praise.

My goal is to learn every aspect of this craft, at least enough so that I could join a VFS and fly with a modicum of competence. This has been a goal of mine since BMS 4 first came out. What they have accomplished with his engine is truly remarkable. It deserves to be learned and played.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Toonces on October 24, 2017, 08:01:49 PM

+1  O0
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 24, 2017, 07:53:20 PM
OMG! I actually was able to successfully start my engine on a cold block 52 from the ramp in Falcon BMS 4.33 u3!!! It only took about 45 minutes. It's a small breakthrough that helps my confidence in learning how to master this sim.

Well done JH

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 24, 2017, 08:12:52 PM
My goal is to learn every aspect of this craft...
I've had that goal for a loooooooooooong time for any number of aircraft in DCS. Unfortunately, I have yet to actually make it a reality.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Way to go, JH!
You do know that starting an F-16 is not nearly the same thing as fighting in one, right?  :dreamer:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 25, 2017, 01:30:48 AM
Way to go, JH!
You do know that starting an F-16 is not nearly the same thing as fighting in one, right?  :dreamer:
Come on - cut the guy some slack...let him sit in the cockpit and bathe in the glory that in the 45 minutes he took to fire the beast up the Migs  and Sukhois were running around doing their thang  :buck2:

Everyone has to start somewhere  :dreamer:
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

LoL. Yeah. I know I have a looooooong way to go, but cold start is something I had always avoided learning, but a step that is integral to fully immersing myself in the sim. Without starting the engine, you can't get off the ground. Without being in the air, you can't fight! Baby steps, dude.

The crazy thing is, I spent so much time following the steps outlined in the training manual. They go through a comprehensive three sweep process where the pilot runs through a number of switch setting and function checks before firing up the engine. I got hung up on something with the UHF comm settings and exited to watch a video of start up. Almost everyone skipped all the sweeps and just went straight to start up. Fuel system on, battery on, cooling on, external lights, canopy and engine start. Really just a few button presses to get fired up. Not too bad after all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I know pal. Like I said - I've been meaning to do something similar with DCS. Trouble is, everytime a new machine comes along, I want to piss around with that - resulting in not learning one.

I yearn for the days when a sim had one or two flyables. DCS has given me too many options. My own fault of course...no-one made me buy them!

I'll do it one day. The A-10C was the one I wanted to learn...I'll get it done one day.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 25, 2017, 08:58:51 AM
I know pal. Like I said - I've been meaning to do something similar with DCS. Trouble is, everytime a new machine comes along, I want to piss around with that - resulting in not learning one.

I yearn for the days when a sim had one or two flyables. DCS has given me too many options. My own fault of course...no-one made me buy them!

I'll do it one day. The A-10C was the one I wanted to learn...I'll get it done one day.

This is why I want to focus on BMS. Fidelity that rivals or exceeds the most comprehensive modules available on DCS WITH a dynamic campaign system! There are also ever increasing aircraft options, and although most of their avionics remain modeled after the Falcon, this doesn't really bother me. The F/A18 looks like an F/A18 and I have no idea how to distinguish that its radar is operating like one in an F16.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

All fair points! I am glad you have started your way on combat sim enlightenment!  :notworthy:
You've already found out about one myth; manual start vs checklists: if there are no random failures (enabled) you can just flick a few switches and are up an running within the minute.
There's also no crew chief who could have flicked some switched so you find a slightly differently setup cockpiton each flight.
Now that makes me remember an option on one of the 3rd party MSFS modules which could create a random cockpit setup for you, so you'd be forced to run a checklist properly every time you start.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 25, 2017, 12:38:03 AM

Well done JH

I've had that goal for a loooooooooooong time for any number of aircraft in DCS. Unfortunately, I have yet to actually make it a reality.

I don't see what the big deal is.... you just press "E" like in Strike Fighters!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mikeck on October 25, 2017, 02:23:02 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 25, 2017, 12:38:03 AM

Well done JH

I don't see what the big deal is.... you just press "E" like in Strike Fighters!

I think you mean CTRL-I, right?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.