Age of Wonders: Planetfall

Started by bbmike, May 19, 2018, 08:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

I am no expert in these games, but played around with tutorial and such the other day, liked what I saw so far......hopefully at some point can dive much deeper.

Martok

I'm looking forward to this one, am just waiting for it to go on sale (which I know won't be a for a while).  No offense to Paradox or Triumph, I just don't believe any video game is worth paying $50+ anymore, especially/at least not right out the gate. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Labbug

Planetfall is 33% off on Steam, ends November 25.

Jarhead0331

New DLC was recently released too. However, it doesn't look too compelling to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

I am having fun with Planetfall.
For some reason I find it more fun to play than AoW 3.
The factions are different from eachother and the combat and R&D is fun, not simplistic, but not bland either. It's definately a go-to 4x for me at this moment.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Martok

I'm trying *really* hard to wait a couple years until a "complete" version with all the DLC is available before picking it up. 

...Or until the base version goes on sale super-cheap.  Whichever comes first, i guess.  :P 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Geezer

The base game is 33% off on Steam right now....  ;)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Martok

Quote from: Geezer on November 20, 2019, 07:24:05 PM
The base game is 33% off on Steam right now....  ;)
I saw that.  I can resist, though; I'm not as easy as Gus.  :P 

al_infierno

I picked this up and I'm really digging it so far.  The tactical combat feels like an improvement over the original, though some people may not like that attacks have a chance to miss now.  I personally like it as it rewards good maneuvering and not just spamming attacks as soon as you can.  I also really like the new province system, I hope they make another fantasy game with the improvements to the engine (though I like the Alpha Centauri-esque sci fi setting a lot more!)

Another thing I noticed that I really like:  I really like how the ranged firearm-centric combat reminds me of old X-Com games where a missed shot hits nearby terrain or friendly/enemy units.  Now that I've started fielding tanks, I gotta say I don't think I'll be going back to AoW III!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Martok

...Then I read posts like al_infierno's here, and I suddenly find myself reaching for the "Purchase" button.  ::)  I must remind myself to be patient, and wait! 

FarAway Sooner

Does this game have PBEM multi-player like AoW3 did?  I really enjoy that aspect of games, given that most of my gaming friends are successful professionals with young kids...

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's also part of this month's humble bundle subscription service. 

Yskonyn