Horizon - Turn-based galactic conquest

Started by Huw the Poo, April 11, 2013, 02:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

^Oh, I get it now, its read, comprehend and then post! ...as  Homer Simpson would say "Doh!"
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

Like Anguille, I've been following Horizon for years now (although I didn't sign up for the forums until a couple years ago).  The first place I saw it announced was in the old MOO3 forums. 

I'm ecstatic full development has resumed this last year, and that Iceberg has signed them on for a publishing deal.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

Quote from: bbmike on April 11, 2013, 10:34:18 AM
I always demand multi-player! But only hot-seat. So I can play all of the sides all by myself.  ;D

Now there's a man after my own heart.  I too like playing all sides myself and feel that you can have a better control of the outcome rather than trusting the AI to use it's gamey gimmics to beat a human. 

In my opinion though a TBS should have a strong SP game.  Otherwise it's not a good strategy game.  However, one does get bored after a while playing against a computer all the time and to interact with other mature human players in a TBS is a joy that should not be discounted!

EDIT:  Another thought occurred to me.  Take Dominions 3 for example.  Here is a rich and deep game that is a joy to play however it too comes with a dark side.  In order to do well in this game you have to hurry up and hurry fast to grab as much land as possible in order to support fielding an army that can defend yourself properly never mind conquer major nations.  I find this sense of hurrying up before it's too late kind of a turn off.  Commander: The Great War is the same thing.  Hurry hurry hurry or you will be buried.  I like to think, ponder, and watch my nation and armies slowly crush the opposition.  Life is nothing but rushing around from work to home then back again and before you know it 10 years have gone by with nothing to show.

When I play my strategy games I want to escape reality and do it at a nice slow pace.  If I want to rush like a bat out of hell I'll play an FPS online like COD or something.  A strategy game should relax you into a dreamlike state of TBS euphoria not stress you out.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

panzerde

+1 on the trend to make everything MP and abandoning making a good SP experience. 

My impression is that a lot of indies have someone that can (kinda) do graphics, and I suspect most of what's required to do MP are fairly standard libraries.  Coming up with an interesting campaign and developing a decently playing AI are a lot harder to do.  So, you make it pretty and don't even try to do an AI, you just make it MP, or even worse, decide it's an MMO.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Grimnirsson

QuoteLife is nothing but rushing around from work to home then back again and before you know it 10 years have gone by with nothing to show.

When I play my strategy games I want to escape reality and do it at a nice slow pace.  If I want to rush like a bat out of hell I'll play an FPS online like COD or something.  A strategy game should relax you into a dreamlike state of TBS euphoria not stress you out.

Agree, that's why I don't play RTS games :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Martok

Quote from: panzerde on April 16, 2013, 06:55:24 PM
So, you make it pretty and don't even try to do an AI, you just make it MP, or even worse, decide it's an MMO.
Like they've done with the newly-announced Imperium Galactica title?  >:( 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Tpek

Quote from: Martok on April 18, 2013, 11:34:07 AM
So, you make it pretty and don't even try to do an AI, you just make it MP, or even worse, decide it's an MMO.

?!
Wasn't the IG series turned into the Nexus Jupiter Incident series?!
And wasn't that game supposed to get a sequel?

Longdan

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2013, 05:49:55 AM
^You know what they say about opinions?  People that demand multi-player in every game as the main draw really make me nervous.  I prefer a single-player experience in all of my games and almost never take advantage of any multi-player.  The trend of making EVERYTHING MP these days is very concerning to me.  I am reassured when a developer makes a game that focuses on the SP experience.  This is one to support and look out for.

I really agree with this.  Some games are good as multi-player.  I know which ones they are.  I do not need one that is only good for multi-player.
I don't like the idea of skimping the AI and using the excuse it is meant to be multiplayer.  In that case don't bother.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Martok

By the by, Horizon's AI programmer had this to say (7th post in this thread): 

QuoteMy current aim is to have a balance between personality and challenge. It's my thinking that it is intensely important for the opponents to make decisions appropriate to their personality, current situation, and relationships (increasing believability and immersion potential), rather than always choosing the BEST option for every situation (increasing challenge).
I like the sound of this.  As much as I enjoy an AI that can beat me, I like one that behaves somewhat believably even more. 

Quote from: Tpek on April 18, 2013, 01:24:52 PM

?!
Wasn't the IG series turned into the Nexus Jupiter Incident series?!
And wasn't that game supposed to get a sequel?
Yes, and yes.  However, I believe there was a Kickstarter campaign for Nexus 2...and that it failed.  :( 

panzerde

Yes, and how bitterly disappointing is that?  :(
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Martok

Extremely. 

IG2 is on my personal Top Five list of space 4x games, and have long desired a true sequel.  I was so pumped when the new title was first announced, only to be bitterly disappointed when I saw the MMO bit. 

Ah well.  At least there's no shortage of other space strategy games to play and look forward to these days (including Horizon).  :)  Even with disasters like Sword of the Stars 2 (at least initially) and Legends of Pegasus, the genre has definitely been experiencing a (modest) resurgence the last couple years. 

steve58

I see this is now available as an early alpha on Steam for $18.99.  Anyone tried it yet?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tpek

Yes.
So far I am unimpressed.
But this is still in development so hopefully it will turn out better.

Martok

Quote from: Tpek on July 02, 2013, 03:04:04 PM
Yes.
So far I am unimpressed.
But this is still in development so hopefully it will turn out better.
To be honest, I'm not surprised.  I think the game only entered a playable alpha state in the last month or two, so I would imagine it's still pretty raw right now.  I've liked a lot of what I've seen, but it's very much an unfinished product at the moment. 

Myself, I intend to pick up Horizon this weekend, if only to get it at the cheaper price.  However, I doubt I'll sit down and play it until sometime after the game moves into beta. 

FlickJax

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2013, 05:49:55 AM
^You know what they say about opinions?  People that demand multi-player in every game as the main draw really make me nervous.  I prefer a single-player experience in all of my games and almost never take advantage of any multi-player.  The trend of making EVERYTHING MP these days is very concerning to me.  I am reassured when a developer makes a game that focuses on the SP experience.  This is one to support and look out for.

100% agree here