Armageddon™ invasion starts in 2014!

Started by Lord Zimoa, May 21, 2013, 10:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2013, 07:41:30 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 22, 2013, 07:04:51 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 21, 2013, 05:51:41 PM
I'm intrigued. But I really hope this isn't just Panzer Corps with a 40K coat of paint. I want something brand new, and something that has more of an individual focus than just 'Blood Angels Div. 1'.

Quoted for truth.

Over 35 scenarios;
Over 100 unit types, with unique roles, stats and special abilities;
20 different units stats;
A separate set of maps are designed and balanced specifically for multiplayer via Slitherine's PBEM++ system.

having played the boardgame to death in my youth - i dont remember there been that many unit types - hopefully it will allow for a little more 'personalisation'

100 units.

Let's try to parse this out.

If we look at WH40k Space Marines we'll find the vanilla army offers a limited number of units.

Space Marine Squad
Scout Squad
Assault Marines
Terminators
Apothecary
Librarian
Chaplain
Sergeant

Dreadnought
Land Speeder
Rhino
Whirlwind
Predator
Land Raider

That's a total of 14 units. I don't have my books in front of me, but assuming we have a few unique units that total comes in below 20 units.

If we assume a roughly equal distribution among all races that will yield five.

Space Marines
Orks
Eldar
Tau
Necrons

Expansions will probably offer more races and specialized factions like Grey Nights and Space Wolves.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

yeah but armageddon is all about the Empire units with the Space Marines assisting - in the board game you got 4 chapter counters i think - literally a counter for a chapter - salamanders, ultramarines, blood angels and im sure there was a fourth but the bulk of the forces were imperial and titan

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2013, 08:19:16 AM
yeah but armageddon is all about the Empire units with the Space Marines assisting - in the board game you got 4 chapter counters i think - literally a counter for a chapter - salamanders, ultramarines, blood angels and im sure there was a fourth but the bulk of the forces were imperial and titan

I was thinking about the minis game and tilting toward Apocalypse.

And, of course, I completely left out the Imperial Guard.

No matter how you slice it, 100 units seems a bit constrained compared to everything that is potentially available. That said, it's probably a great starting point.

MikeGER

Main features of the game include:
•The game portrays the Second War for Armageddon™ in great detail, from the initial Ork landings to the final liberation of the planet;
•It contains a large branching campaign with 30 major scenarios, plus additional 5 tutorial scenarios that explore the story in detail;
•A complex plot, which can develop during a mission, right in the middle of battle, creating an engaging story line with unexpected twists;
•Players lead Imperial troops of the Armageddon™ Steel Legion, with supporting assets from a number of Space Marine chapters against the ferocious Orks;
•Fight alongside Commissar Yarrik and Commander Dante against the cunning Ork Warboss Ghazghkull Thraka;
•Carry over battle-hardened veterans from scenario to scenario, using their experience and upgrading their equipment;
•Detailed combat model with terrain, weather and morale effects;
•Extensive modding options delivered through a powerful and easy-to-use game editor.

i could swear this part was not there when i browsed the article this morning?
-...or i was very quick with the mouse wheel...   

LongBlade

Thanks, Mike. So it's Orks and IG.

The IG does have some cool toys, so this should be fun.

undercovergeek

From the reading I've done so far its just IG - you don't get to be the orks....

When I think what it could be its great but like JH and others have said please don't be PG or BF Academy with a WH40K mod but then I'm sure that wouldn't take as long as 2014

Tpek

Quote from: LongBlade on May 22, 2013, 07:58:19 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2013, 07:41:30 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 22, 2013, 07:04:51 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 21, 2013, 05:51:41 PM
I'm intrigued. But I really hope this isn't just Panzer Corps with a 40K coat of paint. I want something brand new, and something that has more of an individual focus than just 'Blood Angels Div. 1'.

Quoted for truth.

Over 35 scenarios;
Over 100 unit types, with unique roles, stats and special abilities;
20 different units stats;
A separate set of maps are designed and balanced specifically for multiplayer via Slitherine's PBEM++ system.

having played the boardgame to death in my youth - i dont remember there been that many unit types - hopefully it will allow for a little more 'personalisation'

100 units.

Let's try to parse this out.

If we look at WH40k Space Marines we'll find the vanilla army offers a limited number of units.

Space Marine Squad
Scout Squad
Assault Marines
Terminators
Apothecary
Librarian
Chaplain
Sergeant

Dreadnought
Land Speeder
Rhino
Whirlwind
Predator
Land Raider

That's a total of 14 units. I don't have my books in front of me, but assuming we have a few unique units that total comes in below 20 units.

If we assume a roughly equal distribution among all races that will yield five.

Space Marines
Orks
Eldar
Tau
Necrons

Expansions will probably offer more races and specialized factions like Grey Nights and Space Wolves.

Which codex is that?!
Most SM codexes (?) contain far more units than that.
Terminators have 2 typical units, the close combat ones and the ones with ranged weapons.
Land Raiders have 2 configurations (or is it 3 now) as well.

Plus, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons, Chaos Space Marines and Demons, Orks, Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Demon Hunters / Grey Knights, Witch Hunters / Sisters of Battle, etc...
Not to mention all the special chapters like Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Blood Ravens (they've been made canon in case you didn't know :P ), Space Wolves...

Far more than 100 units all in all. And that's even without counting the Epic stuff like titans and those huge friggin tanks.

Cyrano

Thought about it.

Much more than I should have, probably...

PC with a 40K mod...

Callin' it.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

LongBlade

Quote from: Cyrano on May 22, 2013, 11:25:34 AM
Thought about it.

Much more than I should have, probably...

PC with a 40K mod...

Callin' it.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

And that makes the most sense since the Panzer Corps engine has already been developed and paid for. Now money can go into customizing the mechanics for 40K and getting the graphics and sound effects right.

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on May 22, 2013, 08:54:37 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2013, 08:19:16 AM

I was thinking about the minis game and tilting toward Apocalypse.

And, of course, I completely left out the Imperial Guard.

No matter how you slice it, 100 units seems a bit constrained compared to everything that is potentially available. That said, it's probably a great starting point.

Thars money in them thar expasions/DLC
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MikeGER

Quote from: LongBlade on May 22, 2013, 11:34:37 AM

And that makes the most sense since the Panzer Corps engine has already been developed and paid for. Now money can go into customizing the mechanics for 40K and getting the graphics and sound effects right.

mmmh ...that doesn't has to be a bad thing
...as long as its only the core of the engine (especially the AI routines) get reused, the W40K game has of course be on a much smaller less abstract scale then PC, with single vehicles, single weapon team units, single significant persons, and maybe  'fire-teams' of Imperial guardmen   

here is a little hint  :o  ...from the Panzer Corps  webpage in comparison:

•400 unit types, divided into 19 unit classes with 20 detailed parameters to identify units abilities, 17 terrain types affecting gameplay in various way   

coincidence or evidence ? ;)

...the more i read the PC webpage http://www.matrixgames.com/products/399/details/  the more i think Cyrano/ LB hit the X-ring 

SgtRock

Will this use the Panzer Corp game engine or something new?

Cyrano

@SgtRock No one, me included, knows for sure as they've not shown us anything.  We're gleaning and assuming based on press releases like a bunch of 12th Century monks poring over the lost books of Aristotle.

My prediction is based on a lot of things, not the least of which is the ability to stuff a lot of the promised chrome -- unit details, terrain effects, unit variations, &c. -- "under the hood" in the game system covered only with sound and non-3D graphics.

Putting a finer point on it:  update of "Rites of War".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Rites_of_War

Not sad about that, really.  I'll play.  Just make durn sure the Blood Angels expansion pack is high up in the queue.  Bad things happen if the Eldar whoopsies beat them off the landing craft.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Arctic Blast

If it uses the PC engine, that's fine.

If it's just a re-branded PC, my interest level will register at nil.