More 4x gaming: Endless Space

Started by Martok, March 07, 2012, 06:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Just tell me which one is better than Sins of a Solar Empire
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Martok

As far as I'm concerned, all of them.  But then I'm not a Sins fan. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

republic

http://www.endlesspace.com/Progress

That page is genius!  I don't know why more developers don't do something like this.  I get so tired of developers keeping everything under wraps until release, and on the converse giving false hope and too much 'marketing' information.  This progress page is perfect, you know where they are and what they are working on.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: republic on March 19, 2012, 06:46:45 PM

That page is genius!  I don't know why more developers don't do something like this.  I get so tired of developers keeping everything under wraps until release, and on the converse giving false hope and too much 'marketing' information.  This progress page is perfect, you know where they are and what they are working on.

Part of the reason they are doing it this way is due to their participation in a communal development effort, this Games2gether thing. I don't know much about it, but it looks like you can subsidize the game or, if you are an artist and such, offer your services to help out specific parts of the development.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

Quote from: republic on March 19, 2012, 06:46:45 PM

I've seen a lot of other devs do that TBH.
Except they actually sometimes update those figures :D

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

Yeah, the devs mentioned it on their forums.  That interview is my next stop once I'm done here.  :) 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

steve58

Looks like they'll be taking pre-orders starting next week.

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/04/endless-space-pre-orders-next-week/

"There will be 2 different pre-order versions (or packages) available:

An Admiral Edition (29.90€ /$~$40 with 25% off till May 31st) that includes "access to Alpha and all upcoming versions including the final version of the game, an OST, and community bonuses" [anyone know what an OST is? Doh, that would be an "official sound track"]

a special edition called Emperor Special Edition (34.90€/~$46 with 25% off till May 31st)
which from what I could tell is a fan kit package, for folks that want to be more actively involved in the game's development process, as the devs put it, to " help us feel confident on the game's success, which can be an amazing moral boost for the whole team".

p.s. With the 25% discount, the prices come out to be:

22.49€/~$30 for the Admiral Edition
26.24€/~$35 for the Emperor Special Edition
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Fantastic. Definitely buying it. Not sure which version though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Me either.

Here is a link to their forums with some additional info on the two options as well as the minimum/recommended specs

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?210-News-from-the-Dev-Team&p=4867&viewfull=1#post4867

Kinda worried if my 2.66GHz Core2 quad will be able to handle it well enough  :-\

Gusington

In a quick glance I didn't see any mention of the game's optimization, but fingers crossed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

I'll play a late beta but an alpha build??? At any rate, it will be a source of revenue to help them finish it up I suppose. Looks like a great game and we can always use more 4x games.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

Quote from: steve58 on April 27, 2012, 09:46:53 AM
Looks like they'll be taking pre-orders starting next week.

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/04/endless-space-pre-orders-next-week/

"There will be 2 different pre-order versions (or packages) available:

An Admiral Edition (29.90€ /$~$40 with 25% off till May 31st) that includes "access to Alpha and all upcoming versions including the final version of the game, an OST, and community bonuses" [anyone know what an OST is? Doh, that would be an "official sound track"]

a special edition called Emperor Special Edition (34.90€/~$46 with 25% off till May 31st)
which from what I could tell is a fan kit package, for folks that want to be more actively involved in the game's development process, as the devs put it, to " help us feel confident on the game's success, which can be an amazing moral boost for the whole team".

p.s. With the 25% discount, the prices come out to be:

22.49€/~$30 for the Admiral Edition
26.24€/~$35 for the Emperor Special Edition

Must...resist...urge...to pull...trigger... 

Gusington

^Get it...the game wants you to buy it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

If I'm going to become a Steam whore, then I'm at least going to wait until there are multiple games ready for purchase.  (So Endless Space, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, a Shogun 2: Complete Edition -- you know they'll have one at some point -- etc.) 

That way I can just douse myself so thoroughly in gaming goodness that I can forget my shame at selling out for at least a little while...