Strategic Command 3 coming from Matrixgames, not Battlefront...

Started by steve58, July 22, 2013, 03:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

airboy

Rayfer

Quote from: airboy on July 22, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
Looks like they are finally going to hexes!

Amen! I like the series but have wished they would have gone with hexes.  Good news.

Nefaro

smittyohio

And no painful DRM, and hopefully PBEM+ ....  Wouldn't be surprised if a tablet version wasn't in the works also.   The screenshots look pretty alpha, but I can't wait to get back to a more traditional map.   

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Rayfer on July 22, 2013, 03:45:36 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 22, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
Looks like they are finally going to hexes!

Amen! I like the series but have wished they would have gone with hexes.  Good news.

Except for those screenshots are eye-bleedingly dog ugly! Surely that represented just an initial "no terrain on the map" version?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

I wish they would've done this before publishing SC:WWI.   :-[

Greybriar

This is good news. I hadn't bought a game in that series since Strategic Command: European Theater back in 2002 due to Battlefront's DRM.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

GJK

Yes, hopefully this is an early alpha version.  I'd like to see the little tank, infantry and plane pictures go away (those are easy enough to mod usually) but I would also like to see stacking added to the game and I wish that they wouldn't use that "tiled" image display for the map.  Many games use either single image maps or sections of map that piece together in the program and so that makes for modding heaven.  You can't do much when you only  have a dozen or so varieties of the  coastline to work with and it all looks very, well...."tiled".

All that aside, the interesting note is as mentioned; that the game publisher is moving to Matrix/Slitherine.  They are slowly but surely absorbing many other programmers/designers into their fold.  I'm not sure that is such a great thing for the community or not, however much it is that I do like Matrix as a company and their non-DRM practices.  I don't like not being able to recover old installers for several games that I have purchased from them as they simply don't make them available after their support period expires though.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

SgtRock

Quote from: Greybriar on July 22, 2013, 04:41:58 PM
This is good news. I hadn't bought a game in that series since Strategic Command: European Theater back in 2002 due to Battlefront's DRM.

No more DRM/license crap and a new graphic look, sounds good. 

Anguille

Some nice new games coming up...

Why should i get SC3 if i play Strategic War in Europe, Time of Fury and Strategic Command: Europe Theater (GOG)?

agathosdaimon

Quote from: Anguille on July 23, 2013, 03:42:04 AM

Why should i get SC3 if i play Strategic War in Europe, Time of Fury and Strategic Command: Europe Theater (GOG)?

that is a good question - i have strategic command european theater and sc3 looks like it would just be similar to that. Strategic war in europe is cheap at gamersgate also. How many times is the same game redone? thats a rhetorical question perhaps, but less rhetorical is the question why we like to buy them all despite the similarities - just for collections sake and for comparison or are we searching for something? a perfect game with perfect ai and the like? There would be though already hundreds if not thousands of perfect games in existence.

There seems to be only a few particular wars that are given attention and that need not be so however, all the history of the world is full of wars and battles and campaigns, and many which have been sorely overlooked. Its great that the first world war has finally been given attention finally and the Franco Prussian war - i dont have SC WW1 but i would like to get it because it looks to be quite good. Ageod were great also to do Rise of Prussia as not enough attention has been given to that period either.
So will SC 3 do something new altogether? I have only played SC 1 - was SC2 different in its design?

What is the problem with Battlefront DRM? I have never bought anything from them so am curious to know

Nefaro

Quote from: agathosdaimon on July 23, 2013, 05:33:47 AM
How many times is the same game redone?

I was sooo happy to see them do a WWI game. 

Been hoping they'd do something else besides yet another WWII version, but that's probably the case once again.  ::)  S'ok.. I got my WWI fix.  At least future buyers won't have to deal with the limited activation DRM.

smittyohio

Quote from: agathosdaimon on July 23, 2013, 05:33:47 AM
Quote from: Anguille on July 23, 2013, 03:42:04 AM

What is the problem with Battlefront DRM? I have never bought anything from them so am curious to know

You only get a limited number of initial activations, say 5, and then a new one every year.  You can't unlicensed it before making a hardware change or something else what would invalidate the current license, so you could burn through them if you tinker much with your machine.  That said, I've never heard of a legit customer that got shut out of their games.  Battlefront support will generally help them out.  That said, if they decide you're a pirate, you're screwed.

W8taminute

I noticed that there are some screenies of Civil War II and Brother Against Brother.  I'm really worried about the look of Civil War II.  It looks a bit too cartoony to me, something like the original version of Colonization.    :(

But Brother Against Brother looks to be a nice follow up to Forge of Freedom!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk