Space Engine - another space 4x

Started by solops, September 22, 2013, 10:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Does anyone know anything about "Space Engine"? It is a free space exploration game found here:

http://en.spaceengine.org/load/core/spaceengine0970/2-1-0-17

I have not tried it yet (my satellite internet bandwidth is already all used up for the month).
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Huw the Poo

I don't think it's a game, sounds more like a planetarium.

Martok

Yeah, my impression is it's more a gigantic space simulator than a true "game".  Looks cool, though. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

solops

Yeah, I should not have put "4x" in the title and now I cannot fix it. It does look interesting. I wonder if it will be the basis for a real 4x game.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

I see some beautiful screenshots taken in this engine.  For some reason, it never looks as good on my screen.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Darkspire

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 22, 2013, 11:27:23 AM
I see some beautiful screenshots taken in this engine.  For some reason, it never looks as good on my screen.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

If your comment is regarding the planets in our solar system they are in a lo res texture and are somewhat flat, its in the list of things to do, I think, there are some hi-res ones here:
http://en.spaceengine.org/load/additional/3
If you go further out in the galaxy the procedurally generated planets are much better looking.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.