Red Baron remake on Kickstarter!!

Started by YosemiteMark, October 26, 2013, 08:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YosemiteMark

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madottergames/red-baron

This looks really good.  It's being developed by Damon Slye, a founder at Dynamix who worked on the original.  The list of features is incredible (from the Kickstarter page):

• Dogfighting: Aerial combat at its best. Take to the skies in fighter aircraft like the Sopwith Camel and Fokker Triplane.
  • Persistent Multiplayer Game World: Jump in anytime for a challenging mission with or against your friends. There will be both historical and MOBA-style maps.
  • Single Player: Enlist for the full tour in campaign play with more than 30 missions played back to back from 1915 to 1918. Single player will be offline and DRM-free.
  • Easy to Learn: Red Baron will have a simple learning curve, allowing you to jump into the cockpit and fly within minutes to feel the rush of aerial combat.
  • Constant Progression: Advance your pilot to gain new and better aircraft, customize with new paint and decals, and earn upgrades.
  • Buy Once, Play Forever: We are not using a free-to-play model. Pay or pledge once, have Red Baron forever.
  • No Subscriptions
  • No Pay to Win
I've never helped in funding a Kickstarter project, I think this is the one that breaks my cherry

GJK

Sounds really good and a $25 jump in with beta access is a steal.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

W8taminute

Damon Slye you're my hero!!!  Best of luck on this endeavor.  I will be keeping watch for this one for sure.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Staggerwing

I've already pledged without a second thought.

BTW, there is also a nice little write-up about this on the GARPA page of this very website! http://grogheads.com/?p=2981

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Are you guys nuts?  It looks like War Thunder in WWI skin.   Were there WWI dog fights in Switzerland?
Not the Red Baron that we loved.

LongBlade

Quote from: YosemiteMark on October 26, 2013, 08:20:34 PM

This looks really good.  It's being developed by Damon Slye, a founder at Dynamix who worked on the original.  The list of features is incredible (from the Kickstarter page):

• Dogfighting: Aerial combat at its best. Take to the skies in fighter aircraft like the Sopwith Camel and Fokker Triplane.
  • Persistent Multiplayer Game World: Jump in anytime for a challenging mission with or against your friends. There will be both historical and MOBA-style maps.
  • Single Player: Enlist for the full tour in campaign play with more than 30 missions played back to back from 1915 to 1918. Single player will be offline and DRM-free.
  • Easy to Learn: Red Baron will have a simple learning curve, allowing you to jump into the cockpit and fly within minutes to feel the rush of aerial combat.
  • Constant Progression: Advance your pilot to gain new and better aircraft, customize with new paint and decals, and earn upgrades.
  • Buy Once, Play Forever: We are not using a free-to-play model. Pay or pledge once, have Red Baron forever.
  • No Subscriptions
  • No Pay to Win
I've never helped in funding a Kickstarter project, I think this is the one that breaks my cherry

We run a bi-weekly column on the front page that covers crowd-funded games.  Red Baron was one of those covered this week 8)

http://grogheads.com/?p=2981
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

Well I admit watching the terrain underneath the flying in the video didn't leave me with the impression of being in northern France however I still think Damon is going to put out a quality game.  The Mad Otter team kept coming back to the statement that immersion was everything to them. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

W8taminute

Quote from: LongBlade on October 26, 2013, 10:10:18 PM
Quote from: YosemiteMark on October 26, 2013, 08:20:34 PM

• No Subscriptions
  • No Pay to Win

We run a bi-weekly column on the front page that covers crowd-funded games.  Red Baron was one of those covered this week 8)

http://grogheads.com/?p=2981

Thanks for posting that story LB.  I can't believe I missed that one.  I gotta spend more time on the front page.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Is it just me or my lack of flying skills or do you just sit there flying around in circles trying to get in a shot on the other guy in these Red Baron type games?  Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on October 26, 2013, 11:14:02 PM
Is it just me or my lack of flying skills or do you just sit there flying around in circles trying to get in a shot on the other guy in these Red Baron type games?  Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Hah!  You mean in all flight 'sims'?  Well.. you have horizontal circles, vertical circles, corkscrewing circles.. I suppose when you simplify it so much it does sound like a dog chasing it's tail.  The same simplification could be said for any game, however.  You could classify strategy games as pushing pieces around over and over (with an occasional die roll for a tabletop one).  Shooters as running around and clicking at people you see.  Etc etc.  :D

Rayfer

LOL....my experience exactly in Over Flanders Fields and Rise of Flight.  I love these games but can't seem to figure out how one goes about surviving, no less shoot something down.

eyebiter

Nefaro

Quote from: Rayfer on October 27, 2013, 07:24:49 AM

LOL....my experience exactly in Over Flanders Fields and Rise of Flight.  I love these games but can't seem to figure out how one goes about surviving, no less shoot something down.

Using the vertical is essential for anyone worth their salt in a dogfight sim.  It can be tough keeping situational awareness though, and even more so in a video game (even with TrackIR).  Going up and over makes it even more difficult to keep sight at times, but you gotta do it else you'll be stuck in flat circles getting wasted by someone managing their energy and using the vertical against you.

One thing I've experienced about Rise Of Flight is that a steep diving maneuver can scare the ever-loving piss out of me.  It's a tribute to that sim's immersion, for sure.  Often, when I'm attempting a steep diving attack on someone below me, the sound of the wind increasing speed past my ears along with the creaking/screeching of my aircraft, makes me think that my wings will snap off at any second. 

I still haven't played any of the ROF aircraft enough to be intimately familiar with their dive speed limit and associate the sounds the aircraft makes right before breaking up.  So it's even more terrifying not having a good grasp on each model's limits.  Hell.. you can lose control of the aircraft in certain overspeed situation in some models, which is just as scary.  A damn fine sim, even if it puts the fear in me sometimes.  ;D

Quote from: eyebiter on October 27, 2013, 07:35:34 AM
Sid Meyer's Ace Patrol can teach you basic WWI combat tactics.  Advantage of altitude, conserving energy, special maneuvers, avoiding ground flak. For a mobile game port it has decent replay value.

I also recommend playing this for seeing the strategy in air combat maneuvers - in a tabletop wargame format.  Damn fun!  I wish they would add more to it in an expansion or something!

Barthheart

Quote from: Nefaro on October 27, 2013, 07:39:03 AM
I also recommend playing this for seeing the strategy in air combat maneuvers - in a tabletop wargame format.  Damn fun!  I wish they would add more to it in an expansion or something!

Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies is due out next month (Nov.)  :D