Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by Jarhead0331, January 27, 2012, 09:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Oh man...and my hopes were once so high.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I'm not going to defend the game, but what you're seeing is a clip from a mission where you're trapped in a sewer without a weapon and you're being hunted by a new bread of alien that is actually blind.  I'm not sure of the details behind the biology here, but its not AS crazy as it seems just from viewing the clip without any insight.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 11, 2013, 09:04:33 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on February 11, 2013, 08:54:06 PM
Must be some kind of "fair use" that allows them to use all that music and video footage 'cause I don't know how they got the rights to all that IP :/

Fair use DEFINITELY doesn't apply.  They either paid for it up front, or will pay for it after they get sued.

Given the reviewer has most of his videos in Russian, I'm going to guess he isn't worried. At any rate, Youtube just yanks videos with IP infringement without any need for suing.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/feb/12/alien-colonial-marines-game-review

A positive review...there aren't many (ie. one), but I thought you should know one does exist.  Just sayin'.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Did anyone actually buy the PC version and have hands-on experience yet?  Although most reviews seem to paint a bad picture, I seldom make final buying decisions based on reviews.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2013, 03:13:48 PM
Oh man...and my hopes were once so high.

Dirty Dancin's still on sale.....Just sayin'

Huw the Poo

Rock Paper Shotgun weigh in.  It isn't pretty (but very, very funny).  Yeah, I don't normally go by reviews but this game is getting universally panned.  It sounds awful.

mirth

I have a hard time with the premise of the game. They friggin nuked the LV-426 colony at the end of Aliens and it didn't look like a small blast either. How the hell is there anything left to go back to?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2013, 06:49:30 PM
I have a hard time with the premise of the game. They friggin nuked the LV-426 colony at the end of Aliens and it didn't look like a small blast either. How the hell is there anything left to go back to?

Shoot! Good point!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2013, 06:51:03 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2013, 06:49:30 PM

Shoot! Good point!

So much for it being the only way to be sure ;)

Gusington

^The game is a prequel to the Aliens movie.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2013, 07:52:51 PM

Still doesn't make sense. Nothing in Aliens indicates that they had previously sent Colonial Marines to LV-426. The premise of Aliens was that they were sending a squad size unit because they didn't really think anything was wrong.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2013, 07:52:51 PM

No, it's supposed to be a sequel.  You're supposed to be the rescue team that shows up 17 days after Hick's distress call went out.  Remember from the film?  "Seventeen days?!  We ain't gonna last 17 hours!"

I guess they're assuming that the main reactor got taken out in the blast but that the main colony survived the blast.  The blueprints in the film showed that the reactor was separated from the rest of the colony.

The retard alien in the gif I posted earlier is supposed to be one of the ones that got hit with radiation from the blast.