Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by Jarhead0331, January 27, 2012, 09:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 14, 2013, 10:30:52 PM
I thought this vid was pretty interesting.  Wonder if they were forced to cut features to make it run on consoles?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo&feature=youtu.be

Yes...that is a pretty interesting video that begs the question, what did happen there?  That being said, even without those graphical touches, I am still heavily enjoying the experience.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

uhhh.... those screenshot are luuuring :)

Quote from: MikeGER on February 14, 2013, 01:34:29 PM
Jarhead, is the MP as much fun as COD4 was in the good'ol day's 8) on the WG server once?

I ve read: one multiplayer mode, which resembles some gameplay like L4D to bring the best ACM gaming experience, because the aliens are played by humans, which make them cunning and use tactics
(but this is reported to get negative affected by the fact that the aliens can only gain experience from MP game ... while they will facing Marines in the MP level, who are already maxed-out with toys they have gained from the SP campaign.
so a noobish alien-player in MP is an 'easy kill' and not so much fun to impersonate until he took the burden to be cannon fodder until he levels up his alien-avatar enuf to stand a chance ? )

how does it feel when you play an alien (in 3d person view only), how good are they to control (floor to wall to roof transit) ?

How is your overall (both sides) personal MP experience?

maybe my question got lost in the grogheads-twister-meeting distraction  :P

PS: i watched soccer instead of Aliens on the projector last eve... but today is a new eve! ;)   

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2013, 10:08:56 PM
Screenshots...

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=948.new#new

they do look good and as always a decent set of shots and a mini AAR/descrition always add flavour to the game

IF i was a fan, and i saw these shots id be tempted

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MikeGER on February 15, 2013, 03:07:12 AM
uhhh.... those screenshot are luuuring :)

Quote from: MikeGER on February 14, 2013, 01:34:29 PM
Jarhead, is the MP as much fun as COD4 was in the good'ol day's 8) on the WG server once?

I ve read: one multiplayer mode, which resembles some gameplay like L4D to bring the best ACM gaming experience, because the aliens are played by humans, which make them cunning and use tactics
(but this is reported to get negative affected by the fact that the aliens can only gain experience from MP game ... while they will facing Marines in the MP level, who are already maxed-out with toys they have gained from the SP campaign.
so a noobish alien-player in MP is an 'easy kill' and not so much fun to impersonate until he took the burden to be cannon fodder until he levels up his alien-avatar enuf to stand a chance ? )

how does it feel when you play an alien (in 3d person view only), how good are they to control (floor to wall to roof transit) ?

maybe my question got lost in the grogheads-twister-meeting distraction  :P

PS: i watched soccer instead of Aliens on the projector last eve... but today is a new eve! ;)

Mike...I have not played MP yet. Sorry.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2013, 07:46:21 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 14, 2013, 07:13:24 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 14, 2013, 12:15:09 PM
Well I for one like (need) to read what other people have found on the web here.

I don't really look around much...only here, Matrix very, very occasionally, wargamer occasionaly and SimHQ.

So I need people to regurgitate what they've read on the interwebs to save me money.

Thx UCG.
"
Agreed.  It does save time, keeping up on our hobby, by having just a handful of informative forums to frequent.  And, I suppose, time is money - right?

I'm always a bit shocked when I see someone telling another to shaddap with their opinion, and notably a mod, in our little hobbyist corner of the web, but it should be expected when such emotional attachment or aversion comes into play.   :-\

Nefaro...please point to a single instance in this thread where I told anyone to "shut up." If you actually bend over and use your good eye, you'll find several instances where I said the exact opposite. For you to come in to the thread, now, after the issue has been laid to rest is really curious. You've probably just been waiting for the opportunity since you came here from the other site. 

By the way, I'm not just a mod here...I'm a part owner, so I guess I can pretty much say whatever I want...your opinion is duly noted though. Constructive, as usual.  ::)

I hadn't actually read through this large thread until then, so I didn't know what was going on until I posted.

Something that struck me rather odd was your final sentence, here:
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2013, 08:10:58 AM
I generally know that everyone who posts here is a serious, honest gamer.  If you lie, I'm a mod, and can find out where you live.

I dunno if it was meant as a joke, but it seemed like some steps of escalation were skipped somewhere between disagreeing on game reviews and threatening to find out where people live.  ???  I don't know your temperament or sense of humor well enough to know what you meant, but it came off pretty hostile.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on February 15, 2013, 07:44:23 AM
I hadn't actually read through this large thread until then, so I didn't know what was going on until I posted.

I generally know that everyone who posts here is a serious, honest gamer.  If you lie, I'm a mod, and can find out where you live.

I dunno if it was meant as a joke, but it seemed like some steps of escalation were skipped somewhere between disagreeing on game reviews and threatening to find out where people live.  ???  I don't know your temperament or sense of humor well enough to know what you meant, but it came off pretty hostile.

Are you for real?  You don't know my temperament or sense of humor well enough?  We've only been posting in the same forums for years?  Get serious Nefaro...you know that comment was a total and complete joke.  Yeah, I'm going to find out where you live and come beat you up if you don't like Aliens: Colonial Marines.  This is the best you can come up with?

...and its pretty foolish to claim that I told someone to shut up without actually reading the entire thread, don't you think?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 15, 2013, 05:57:05 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2013, 10:08:56 PM
Screenshots...

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=948.new#new

they do look good and as always a decent set of shots and a mini AAR/descrition always add flavour to the game

IF i was a fan, and i saw these shots id be tempted
I disagree

But I guess that's subjective (and I'm honestly not being cute by saying that)
Alba gu' brath

bboyer66

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2013, 07:46:21 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 14, 2013, 07:13:24 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 14, 2013, 12:15:09 PM
Well I for one like (need) to read what other people have found on the web here.

I don't really look around much...only here, Matrix very, very occasionally, wargamer occasionaly and SimHQ.

So I need people to regurgitate what they've read on the interwebs to save me money.

Thx UCG.
"
Agreed.  It does save time, keeping up on our hobby, by having just a handful of informative forums to frequent.  And, I suppose, time is money - right?

I'm always a bit shocked when I see someone telling another to shaddap with their opinion, and notably a mod, in our little hobbyist corner of the web, but it should be expected when such emotional attachment or aversion comes into play.   :-\

Nefaro...please point to a single instance in this thread where I told anyone to "shut up." If you actually bend over and use your good eye, you'll find several instances where I said the exact opposite. For you to come in to the thread, now, after the issue has been laid to rest is really curious. You've probably just been waiting for the opportunity since you came here from the other site. 

By the way, I'm not just a mod here...I'm a part owner, so I guess I can pretty much say whatever I want...your opinion is duly noted though. Constructive, as usual.  ::)

Are you frackin serious?

spelk

I've played MP on Team Deathmatch, and I must say it was a tense and enjoyable experience especially from the Aliens side. It's very much like Left 4 Dead, I'd say. The Aliens have to be sneaky, stalking and pouncing. Whereas the Marines just have to stay together, cover each other, and provice 360 cover. Using devices like Proximity mines/claymores and flame throwers, and plenty of hails of lead. Melee-ing multiple Aliens doesn't get you very far, other than dead. Some Aliens have nasty acid spitting ranged attacks, and heart piercing tail lunges, but if you can stay together and empty heavy fire in their direction they can be held back.

The worst case scenario for a Marine is dying, and then spawning well away from your comrades. Getting to them is a frantic sprinting, checking your own six affair, that the Aliens are looking for. Playing as an Alien, you hunger for lone Marines. Hunt in packs, but stalk loners and strike when they're on the move. You're faster than they are.

The rounds alternate, Marine, then Alien, then scoreboard. Then bomb out to the lobby, for the next map.

Once you start to get the hang of the Aliens, it becomes quite enjoyable, you are by no means invulnerable, heavy fire will churn you up into an acid pulp pretty quickly. Mastering the walls, ceilings and vents to surprise nervous marines is the way forward.

I haven't tackled the other modes yet, but from what I've seen in MP, TDM seemed a pretty good buzz.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2013, 07:52:35 AM

Are you for real?  You don't know my temperament or sense of humor well enough?  We've only been posting in the same forums for years?  Get serious Nefaro...you know that comment was a total and complete joke.  Yeah, I'm going to find out where you live and come beat you up if you don't like Aliens: Colonial Marines.  This is the best you can come up with?

...and its pretty foolish to claim that I told someone to shut up without actually reading the entire thread, don't you think?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I just thought it was really out of place and I didn't know for sure considering previous posts.  It didn't sound too funny when I read it, so I'll chalk it up to the lack of body language on the 'net. 

And, no, I'm not some secret operative for the Wargamer.  I don't even know much of what happened, and don't really want to either.

MikeGER

Quote from: spelk on February 15, 2013, 09:35:31 AM

I've played MP on Team Deathmatch, and I must say it was a tense and enjoyable experience ....

THX spelk :)  and JH too :)

i sense i will break down sooner or later .... so why not NOW  ;)
(it will be a shitty wet cold boring WE ...with car in the garage for welding and my spare part didn't got delivered on time and ExpensiveOther is on a short trip visiting relatives... so enuf time for some ACM distractions)

Well, its all subjective what A:CM may stand for   
for some its:  Aliens Congenial Marines  ...for some: Aliens Colonial Marines   ...and for other its: Aliens Colonic Marines  ;D   

i am off to hit Steam purchase buttons ... see you in the MP arenas 

Grimnirsson

The game is a failure in so many ways and the worst part of it is, it's a bad game that's still fun to play...and that's the point. It could have been outstanding but the Gearbox Software management folks were too confident in their loyal fanbase and obviously thought they could get away with using it for a quick let's-make-some-money trick. This is a boomerang that is flying back right into their face and could be a hard blow for the company. They had their free ticket with Duke Nukem Forever already and this one is going to undermine fan loyalty big time. The MP is the best part and is fun, but there are too few maps to keep players interested in playing it.  And no one with some brain in the head will shell out more money to Gearbox just to get more maps for this rushed game. It will die soon, so go and play it as long as there's someone online willing to play with you.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grimnirsson on February 15, 2013, 11:54:57 AM
The game is a failure in so many ways and the worst part of it is, it's a bad game that's still fun to play...

If it is fun to play, why are you so bitter?  Also, if it is fun to play, why do you think people will stop playing it?  I've already got between 4-5 ours out of the campaign and am really enjoying it, and I have not even touched MP yet.  Could it have been better? Hell yes, but so could COD, and that game got 9.0 and above ratings.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grimnirsson

Jar, I'm not bitter, I'm just saying that Gearbox had some great franchise on their table and they had the time, the talent and the chance to make something outstanding. The game has bad gfx, a too short campaign, a ticked on coop, no real story worth listening to, a MP with far too few maps, a horrible AI, a bad matchmaking system and a ton of glitches and bugs. Still, when it works it's kinda fun, it's even better than Medal of Honor Warfighter (which I stopped playing in the SP and MP, it was that bad), but Gearbox Software did everything to hype it to the moon and back. That's why people expected much more than just a playable game that's kinda fun if it works. Again, I'm not saying I don't have some fun with it, but it's not worth the full price I paid. It's not a polished product and the fans feel betrayed. Today I listened to one of Randys interviews again and it's hard to accept that ACM is the game that was presented to us when you listen to his words. The youtube movie that shows the older demo stuff and the released final game side by side is proof something went wrong here...I will play the game with friends in the coop campaign (a couple of hours into it by now)  and will play the MP until I get bored with the maps. And while I am doing that I dream of the game that ACM could have been. I'm not bitter but realistic and as a customer and Gearbox fan I have a bad taste in my mouth, that's all. And I follow the internet discussions about Gearbox and I'm not surprised to read what I read there.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de