The "Holy %$%# It's Cold Out There" Winter 2017 Thread

Started by mirth, October 27, 2017, 07:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

The roof here at my in laws is starting to creak. Getting a little nervous.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2018, 07:05:20 PM

Well then get the hel down from there! You shouldn't be up on the roof in this kind of weather anyway!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2018, 07:05:20 PM

It's usually when my in laws start to creak that I get nervous.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Quote from: BanzaiCat on March 07, 2018, 07:00:42 PM
You throw in some uggs and bbmike might shovel your steps in nothing but those uggs.  ^-^

There's not enough bourbon in the world to get me into uggs.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on March 07, 2018, 07:14:34 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on March 07, 2018, 07:00:42 PM
You throw in some uggs and bbmike might shovel your steps in nothing but those uggs.  ^-^

There's not enough bourbon in the world to get me into uggs.

This is the correct answer.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

mirth

Staggerwing

Power just went out about 15 minutes ago. Standby generator is running. For now.

This snow is like velcro. The lower branches on the apple and cherry tree in my backyard are all the way down on the ground from the weight.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on March 07, 2018, 08:37:25 PM
Stay safe everybody.
Quote from: mirth on March 07, 2018, 08:10:02 PM
Shit. Hope you don't go without for too long.

Thanks. I have a feeling that this is it until at least sometime tomorrow. Our power company is part of the Borg Eversource collective and the corporate hive mind seems to take its own sweet time dealing with outages. Now that the 'Puerto Rican Experiment' has shown what people can endure while Congress still looks the other way I'm not hopeful for the rest of us.

mirth

Yeah, our 'local' power company, that is part of an international conglomerate, took a lot of heat after the wind storm in October. Not that the state has the balls to actually do anything about it. Deregulation is not always the best answer.

mirth

Looking outside, the next 12-14 hours are going to be unpleasant.

Staggerwing

Just checked: 5000 out of the 7000-odd  homes in my town are without power right now.

WTF? Why were there still so many branches near the power lines? WTF do we still have all our lines above ground as if we were a third world nation?