Gaming - Fall/Winter Hit List

Started by PanzersEast, August 06, 2013, 10:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: PanzersEast...Star Drive (just cannot get into it)...

That's sad to hear.  It's an ok game in my book but I think it doesn't seem to keep your interest for long.  I'll eventually get back to it.

Quote from: PanzersEastOther games I am looking at eliminating are Eador: Masters of the Broken World (just a very limited game and becomes repetitive pretty quickly).

Thanks for the tip.  I have been eyeing this game from a distance wondering if I should get it or not when it goes on sale.  I'll think I'll stay away based on your comment.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tuna

Quote from: W8taminute on August 12, 2013, 02:01:38 PM

That's sad to hear.  It's an ok game in my book but I think it doesn't seem to keep your interest for long.  I'll eventually get back to it.

I tried a few times and had a hard time getting into it as well.. I think it was the UI.. I had a hard time selecting stuff.. is there a key for cycling through your ships or something.. I just hate when the screen moves around on  you when you're trying to focus on something.

hurryover

I can't believe the OP hasn't played HOI3 after having owned it for some time. That game nearly ruined my marriage.

Huw the Poo

It's been on my list since I heard of it.  Worth picking up in a sale?

bbmike

Quote from: PanzersEast on August 11, 2013, 02:28:18 PM
More work than I thought, but have begin to shorten my list. Going through these has made me overload somewhat but I have eliminated Imperialism II (EU IV)...
PE

No Imperialism II? That saddens me.  :(

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

W8taminute

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 12, 2013, 06:10:46 PM

It's been on my list since I heard of it.  Worth picking up in a sale?

Yes.  I picked up my copy one day during the STEAM summer sale.  I think I paid about $10 for the game.  At that price it's worth it.  Tuna mentioned his stumbling block was being able to navigate around to see what your ships are up to.  On the minimap there is a little button (hotkey k, I believe) that brings up a list of all your ships.  Double click on the desired ship and you're good to go.  The thing I like about this game is that everything is easily accessible through a table list.  The lists can be sorted by column.  Don't get the wrong impression though, this is not spreadsheets in space.  MOOIII seems that way to me, not this game though. 

The only thing I noticed about this game that has me a bit worried is a weak ai.  I'm still playing my second game and although I'm strong militarily there are at least two other factions stronger than me yet they haven't attacked me yet.  I even destroyed one of their orbiting space stations without a formal declaration of war and all I got was a diplo message from them saying 'if you do that again we are going to really get mad at you'.   ???
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

PanzersEast

Stardive is worth around $5 on sale IMHO (winter sale)... it is like Eador (which I would price out around the same amount) you will get a couple of plays with it then it falls away.  Stardive's AI is weak and the UI is pretty bland and bad.... some of the basic features in shortcuts are omitted.  In my own taste I place Distant Worlds, SoTS II, Endless Space, GalCiv II, MOO II ahead of Stardrive.

@bbmike
Yea, I hate to but EU IV will fill up a lot of time in that area...

I have dwindled down my list more and are getting close to my final Fall/Winter playlist....

PE 

Huw the Poo

Thanks for the comments, chaps.  I'm definitely picking up Stardrive next time it goes on sale (or when I have £25 and nothing to spend it on....hahahahahahahahahaha).

More relevant to the topic at hand, my backlog isn't going to be so much as dented this winter if I don't stop playing the magnificent Dota 2.

PanzersEast

I have narrowed my list down to the Fall/Winter playlist and with hopes of no purchases in between.  I eliminated many of the games on my list for various reasons.  I have tons of others but narrowed it down to the list below and then to the what I will actually stick with and play.

I plan not to spend much if any during the Winter sale (I hope), and will maybe add SoTS II or Endless space to the list as both still intrigue me even though the flaws.

- FSX
- Europa Universalis IV
- Rome Total War II
- Crusader Kings II
- Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
- Distant Worlds
- Civilization V
- Wargame AirLand Battle[
- Shogun Total War II - (decided to give it another chance / 1 Campaign)
- Dominions 3
- Dwarf Fortress
- Hearts of Iron III
- Victoria II

- X3 Albion Prelude
- Skyrim

- Blood Bowl
- DDS ProBB 2
- OOTP 14

-------------------------------------------------

- Eador: Masters of the Broken World  (found to be repetitive and limited)
- Euro Truck Sim 2   (play off and on)
- Dragon Age Origins   (need to be playing, but will hold off again)
- Warlock: Master of the Arcane    ( still enjoy, but Civ V has my attention)
- Sword of the Stars II   (AI is suspect and removes the fun)
- Evil Genius   (have not played and was squeezed out)
- Alpha Centauri   (played it quit a bit and will return in time)
- Carrier Command   (like the game, however will come back)
- Alea Jacta Est   (replaced by RTW II, favorite era but trying for diversity)
- Aurora 4X   (time hog, just don't see it happening)
- Star Drive    (just could not get into it, others are better)
- Endless Space   (may add to the list above, need another play through)
- Kerbal Space Program   (I always dabble in this for short periods)
- Xenonauts   (still in beta) - waiting for full release)
- Fall Out 3   (not until I finish Skyrim)
- Romance the Three Kingdoms XI   (strange game, but others I like better)
- The Guild II   (fun and frustrating)
- Imperialism II   (EU IV)
- Dishonored   (very good game, but need to finish Skyrim first)
- X-Com   (Xenonauts is a better game and have already played through)
- Silent Storm   (good game, just not enough time)
- Knights of the Old Republic I/II  (need to play, but have others to look at first)
- Strike Fighters / Falcon 4   (always turns up for some short stints)

PE

bbmike

Still an impressive list of games. Those Paradox titles alone are going to make it slow going (at least for me they would!).  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak