Brother Against Brother (American Civil War Game) - Requesting Beta Testers

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 07, 2013, 06:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

In case you didn't see, the long awaited Civil War game from the makers of Forge of Freedom is accepting beta testers.  This game focuses on the tactical aspects of the Civil War.

Link to beta sign up
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/announcement.asp?id=22

Link to forum that discusses it
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=808

Tuna

Liked forge of freedom.. but not a fan of the company that drops support on their products... not like AGEOD!  8)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tuna on October 07, 2013, 07:10:58 PM
Liked forge of freedom.. but not a fan of the company that drops support on their products... not like AGEOD!  8)

Don't mention Ageod....I am still wavering as to whether to pickup acw2:)

Tuna

Haven't grabbed it yet, but definitely plan to.  But look at ACW 1.. They released a patch last December.. pretty darn good for an 'old' game.. but they always keep working and supporting their games..

Anguille

I am interested in the game but don't have the time to play, even less play-test....unfortunately.

JudgeDredd

I kind of agree with this. Forge of Freedom was an outstanding game and I had many hours of fun with it...but I mentioned several times about a patch for resolution and they never would do one.

All it needed was a patch to remove the fixed res. I know - it sounds easier than it probably was - but Matrix should've invested time in it.
Alba gu' brath

Rayfer

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 08, 2013, 01:58:33 AM
I kind of agree with this. Forge of Freedom was an outstanding game and I had many hours of fun with it...but I mentioned several times about a patch for resolution and they never would do one.

All it needed was a patch to remove the fixed res. I know - it sounds easier than it probably was - but Matrix should've invested time in it.

Not sure I agree with the comment that they didn't support this game and it begs the question; how long should a company continue to put time and money into supporting a game? FoF goes back 7 years now and from what I can see from the product page it was patched/updated 4 times between 2006-2009. I would consider that pretty good support. Does a company have an obligation to go back to 7 year old games and improve the resolutions? The resolution issue doesn't affect me but it is a big issue for others so I can understand your concerns.

JudgeDredd

My beef wasn't that they didn't support the game.

The game (imo) was a masterpiece. I loved it. But the lack of resolution options ruined it for me. Almost straight out the bat (yeah - 7 years ago) the res was on it's last legs.

The company is a great company and their game was fantastic - but not updating the resolution - not putting the time into that - really bit me.
Alba gu' brath

Anguille

I believe that this would have been a huge amount of work. If you don't include this from the beginning, it's not worthy to do it. Many older games had fixed resolutions (f.e.Master of Orion III, i remember i complained on the forums back then and they explained it to me) or just a couple of options (f.e. Celtic Kings: punic wars).

Nowadays it's fairly common but it's difficult to blame them for this.

JudgeDredd

It isn't difficult for me  :P

I know it was a great amount of work...I was told so several times by eric...but it ruined the game for me. I simply cannot play it the way it looks...I've tried and I can't.

I got my money's worth - that's all I can say.
Alba gu' brath

Anguille

I understand very well your point and there are various games i would love to see with more resolution (Celtic King games are among my all time favorite games)...

JudgeDredd

A game gets to a "look" point where I have to move on. I didn't just pay all that money for a gaming rig to look like I'm playing a game from 2000.

Not that that's the devs fault - though you could argue, given the multitude of resolutions even available back then that fixed resolution just should never have been an option.

I'll keep my eye on this. Fixed res is definitely out the window. But I'd be hard pressed to NOT buy their game if it's a remaster of Forge of Freedom...but I don't know that's the case as the last time I checked the forum it was very, VERY quiet.
Alba gu' brath

Anguille

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 08, 2013, 10:21:20 AM
Not that that's the devs fault - though you could argue, given the multitude of resolutions even available back then that fixed resolution just should never have been an option.

Fully agree...i think it was bad planning. A funny thing thougth, is that screens used to rather squares and they are becoming more and more rectangular....i guess nobody knew where this was going to go.

ERutins

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 08, 2013, 01:58:33 AM

Totally not a patch.  A patch is to fix bugs.  We did that with Forge of Freedom and actually kept development going long after release.  The final comprehensive update added so many things that we made a new promotional video to mark its release.  Changing what an engine will or will not support is not trivial and allowing FOF to support multiple resolutions was way beyond what could reasonably be done as a post-release update or expected.  It was sold as a fixed resolution game and designed, engine and art, around that.  You were asking for months of additional work.

Brother against Brother does support higher resolutions though.

Regards,

- Erik

ERutins

Quote from: Rayfer on October 08, 2013, 08:12:36 AM
Not sure I agree with the comment that they didn't support this game and it begs the question; how long should a company continue to put time and money into supporting a game? FoF goes back 7 years now and from what I can see from the product page it was patched/updated 4 times between 2006-2009. I would consider that pretty good support. Does a company have an obligation to go back to 7 year old games and improve the resolutions? The resolution issue doesn't affect me but it is a big issue for others so I can understand your concerns.

Thank you - I don't understand the comment about not supporting it either.  The amount of support FOF received was well above and beyond what most titles get.

Regards,

- Erik