IL-2 CLOD Blitz Desert Wings DLC

Started by MengJiao, August 04, 2020, 06:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

We do need a separate thread for this; most of the discussion is over at the IL-2 BoX / Great Battles thread.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

A great theatre and I wish them well. Clod was almost the most amazing air combat system ever. This could make it realise it's potential.
My only caveat is that now I have "tank crew" for il2 BOS I am guessing we will never get a western desert tank module because of the two different engines.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 04, 2020, 09:03:03 PM
We do need a separate thread for this; most of the discussion is over at the IL-2 BoX / Great Battles thread.

This is a different game completely.  Probably BoX discussions would be more focused without CLOD included.

JasonPratt

I would have said the other way around! -- more focused discussion on CLOD BlitzDW without all the other BoX game discussion. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 05, 2020, 02:57:37 PM
I would have said the other way around! -- more focused discussion on CLOD BlitzDW without all the other BoX game discussion. ;)

I think the interest in CLOD DLCs is likely to be pretty low, so I thought I'd let the BoX-ians (including me ...I think I have most of the BoX stuff) do their things and keep CLOD in its own niche-ian-kind of place.

Silent Disapproval Robot

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 05, 2020, 06:21:57 PM
Is the AI still brain-dead?

I've always written my own single-player missions and apparently the AI works better in editor-built missions than in the "Quick Missions"...some of the tradition of brain-deadness in the AI might be based on Quick Missions (which I have never flown)...I do recall some odd behavior when bombing with Blenheim IVs years ago, so the AI might still have some problems.  One thing about my approach to CLOD is that the editor is pretty much the same as the original Il-2 editor which was pretty good.  So I've been used to getting the AI to behave for quite some time in the IL-2 to CLOD lineage.

Silent Disapproval Robot

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 05, 2020, 09:04:52 PM
  So I've been used to getting the AI to behave for quite some time in the IL-2 to CLOD lineage.

Desert Heinkel 111 H6:

Jarhead0331

How are your initial impressions? I got it, but I'm away on vacation and away from my rig.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Philippe

I bought CLOD a while back. 

I really love the subject so I was inclined to be fairly forgiving. 

But the game ran so badly compared to Il2 BOS that I gave up in disgust and put in for a refund.

That experience has made me reluctant to try another one of this group's products.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 06, 2020, 10:11:32 PM
How are your initial impressions? I got it, but I'm away on vacation and away from my rig.

I think it is okay.  I've played CLOD BLITZ for a while and before that all sorts of IL-2 stuff that uses the same editor (BoX seems to be a pretty
different editor and engine) so it works as an extension.  The upgrade (5.0) Downloads for vanilla BLITZ are 6 gig and Tobruk is 4 gig so most of the work
is going into adjusting the existing engine.  Here is a Tomahawk closing in on the Fort Maddelena complex that I'm using as a stand-in for some Palmyra scenarios:

MengJiao

Quote from: Philippe on August 06, 2020, 11:45:30 PM
I bought CLOD a while back. 

I really love the subject so I was inclined to be fairly forgiving. 

But the game ran so badly compared to Il2 BOS that I gave up in disgust and put in for a refund.

That experience has made me reluctant to try another one of this group's products.

Load up the latest CLOD BLITZ 5.0 and see if it works better.  It's hard for me to know how this compares to BoX because I have BoX and I've adjusted
my expectations and settings so that they both seem to run okay to me.  My problem with BoX is the editor and its subject matter, not the engine and as I say, I'm at home with whatever the CLOD problems are to the point that it just looks like a much improved version of the original IL-2.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 05, 2020, 04:02:52 AM
A great theatre and I wish them well. Clod was almost the most amazing air combat system ever. This could make it realise it's potential.
My only caveat is that now I have "tank crew" for il2 BOS I am guessing we will never get a western desert tank module because of the two different engines.

Yeah...I don't think there is going to be a CLOD Tobruk tank driving thing.