Academy M-18 Hellcat U.S. Army Gun Motor Carriage 1/35th scale, missing part

Started by FrontierCybrarian, July 17, 2014, 03:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrontierCybrarian

Gents, one and all!

I found 4 awesome models at a thrift store for a couple bucks each. They were placed with the boxed jig-saw puzzles so weren't readily noticed by other shoppers.

All seemed to be complete when viewed at the store but upon further inspection at home I noticed the Academy M-18 Hellcat was missing instructions and the top hull. Google led me to a site with instructions so I downloaded the 16pp PDF manual.

BUT now, where am I going to find the missing hull? It's the only part missing. Will I need to purchase a new $30+ kit just to get the hull and use my thrift store model for spare parts?

Do any of you know if there are model "salvage yards (junk yards)" that may have my missing part?

Also while I have your attention, I have a question for y'all. I apologize in advance if it's stupid or elementary:

What are the differences between tanks, self-propelled guns, and gun motor carriages? They all look basically the same to me and I classify them all as "TANKS."
Surely they must have different purposes and are classified separately for a reason. Enlighten me please. I want to know.

Thanks for viewing my thread.
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

bayonetbrant

Tanks = direct-fire weapons on a heavily protected chassis, expected to stand and fight toe-to-toe with the enemy

Self-propelled artillery = indirect-fire weapons on a somewhat-protected chassis, expected to run like hell when taking fire so armor is lighter
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack Nastyface

And to get your third definition in ...a "gun carriage" fires a direct fire weapon (aka a tank gun) from a somewhat protected chassis.

IIRC, US army doctrine upon entering WWII was to use "tanks" to support infantry assaults, and towed guns (like the 57mm and 75mm guns) for anti-tank work.  Like most plans, this doctrine fell apart once it made contact with the enemy, so the US Army started to upgrade (and up-gun) their tanks, and started to deploy more anti-tank gun carriages (also know as tank hunters).  Gun carriages are lighter than tanks, so theoretically they were to use rapid response and "shoot and scoot" tactics. 

You might be able find some joy re: missing parts, here:  http://www.modelrectifier.com/
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

FrontierCybrarian

Bayonet, and JackNasty thanks for the great explanations. It's now starting to make sense. A few years ago I was unknowledgeable enough to think self-propelled armored vehicle meant it was mobile without crew and was operated like an RC car with radio control. Perhaps I was thinking it was a mobile "land drone." How stupid of me. I know there are small "land drones" but a giant multi-ton beast...who knows, maybe some day even...TRANSFORMING.

So now, why did Academy Hobby Model Kits subtitle the M-18 Hellcat as a "U.S. Army Gun Motor Carriage"? Wiki leads me to believe it is a fast (up to 60mph)
self-propelled tank destroyer. Used to flank German tanks for a side or rear shot. It was lightly armored in order to achieve the fast mobility.

I'm beginning to see the picture about armored vehicle classifications. I will bring the M-18 Hellcat to life if I can find the dang hull part.

JackNasty, I also appreciate your referral to the missing part site. Groghead members have always been helpful to me. You answered the "gun motor carriage" question while I was posting and your entry came through a few seconds before mine.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

FWIW, I think the pre- and intra- WW2 US Army called anything with an engine, 1 or more guns of 50 cal or above, and an open hull or open turret a 'Gun Motor Carriage' (GMC) including self propelled howitzers, tank destroyers, and even half-tracks with quad-fifty AA guns.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Im reading that Kasserine freebie right now and how they go on about the halftracks being 'tank destroyers' makes me cringe inside.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

FrontierCybrarian

GDS_Starfury thanks for pointing me in the direction to locate missing model parts. I'll make my request known there. What? Half-tracks as "tank destroyers." For Pete's sake...their usual guns aren't big enough...are they!

Staggerwing, your explanation of gun motor carriage seems to be the case after studying this a bit more. There doesn't appear to be strict and hard fast
criteria when classifying WW2 armored vehicles. There are commonalities in each group.

Thanks guys, you are great.

FrontierCybrarian

I found the missing hull for the M-18 Hellcat at this site:

http://www.modelrectifier.com/index.asp

Peggy, the customer service rep., telephoned me twice from New Jersey informing me of the find. She sold the parts at a reasonable price. I applaud such wonderful service.

GDS_Starfury

great to hear.  thats the parent company for quite a few manufacturers.

FrontierCybrarian

GDS_Starfury, appreciate your knowledge regarding this. Now I plan to purchase 1/35 U.S. tank crew figures at reasonable prices. It seems the figures alone are priced alright but the postage cost in sending them is quite high. I guess with plastic models and kits companies have to pack and pad them more carefully so there is no breakage during shipment.

There are several model shops in my area that will have the figures I need.

Thanks for participating in this thread.

Jack Nastyface

We will be looking forward to pictures of your "works in progress"... :)
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

FrontierCybrarian

Jack Nastyface, I'm not much of a photographer and I basically will slowly build the models during the viewing of major league baseball games on my computer. It will be a new experience painting such tiny parts, too.

Also, I might give the models to a brother who loves modeling perhaps more than I do. Still a bit undecided.

I have so many pc games that need installed and played. But, it's great to have such options.