Games Workshop Brings Space Hulk Back Once More

Started by Arctic Blast, September 13, 2014, 12:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Once more, it shall be available...for a brief moment, before it's once more pulled into the maelstrom of the warp.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Hulk

Jack Nastyface

Is this already not available?  Sheesh...when they meant brief moment, they're not kidding...
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on September 22, 2014, 11:04:38 PM
Is this already not available?  Sheesh...when they meant brief moment, they're not kidding...

I'm a firm believer that GW intentionally short prints these so that they can sell them at such high prices, very quickly, every time they do so. 

Bleh.  There's a deluge of other great games coming out these days, at lower cost.  No need to get your cash nipples milked by GW every time they squeeze out a small run of expensive specialty game.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on September 23, 2014, 04:51:29 AM

I'm a firm believer that GW intentionally short prints these so that they can sell them at such high prices, very quickly, every time they do so. 

Bleh.  There's a deluge of other great games coming out these days, at lower cost.  No need to get your cash nipples milked by GW every time they squeeze out a small run of expensive specialty game.

coffee down face moment

if id have known cash came from there i would have been twiddling myself for years

Arctic Blast

I think the small run this time has more to do with a little disaster named Dreadfleet. That was GW's big game release a couple of years ago. You might have heard of it because it's likely still sitting on your game store's discount shelf. Everyone was all excited as the release approached, and then it completely bombed. And they produced it in fairly big numbers based on consumer hype. So they ended up stuck with this thing that nobody can sell off, even at massively discounted rates. So even with a bigger name title, they kept things fairly limited (though Space Hulk 4th is still widely available out there from what I'm reading).

Just because a ton of people say they want something doesn't mean that even a small portion of that ton of people will actually pony up the cash to buy it. Believing every person who says they'll buy something is a guaranteed road straight to bankruptcy.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 23, 2014, 11:53:56 PM

I think the small run this time has more to do with a little disaster named Dreadfleet. That was GW's big game release a couple of years ago. You might have heard of it because it's likely still sitting on your game store's discount shelf. Everyone was all excited as the release approached, and then it completely bombed. And they produced it in fairly big numbers based on consumer hype. So they ended up stuck with this thing that nobody can sell off, even at massively discounted rates. So even with a bigger name title, they kept things fairly limited (though Space Hulk 4th is still widely available out there from what I'm reading).

Just because a ton of people say they want something doesn't mean that even a small portion of that ton of people will actually pony up the cash to buy it. Believing every person who says they'll buy something is a guaranteed road straight to bankruptcy.

IIRC, the previous printing of Space Hulk was too small for the demand.  I assume they are just squirting it out in small batches.

Dread Fleet?  Yeah, I looked at it briefly but it didn't look interesting at all to me.  Who the hell hyped that thing?   ::)  Space Hulk is one of their old staples.  If they were going to make a big print run of anything, I'd expect it to be a line such as this one. 

Besides, GW has some serious market pull and, from what I've seen over the years, a well established base to profit from.  It's not like they're some new publisher on the block bringing out Space Hulk as a new title.  Judging by how they've regularly loaned their boardgame & RPG lines to other publishers in recent years (FFG), they obviously don't care about doing them very much unless they can get a quick & dirty return on the whole thing.  All focus on their minis profit, per usual.  That's fine, if they would let FFG do all of them, including Space Hulk.  Then we could get it at a better price, but "ZOMG it has space marine minis in it!!!1"  ::)

:tickedoff:

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on September 25, 2014, 12:32:15 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 23, 2014, 11:53:56 PM

IIRC, the previous printing of Space Hulk was too small for the demand.  I assume they are just squirting it out in small batches.

Dread Fleet?  Yeah, I looked at it briefly but it didn't look interesting at all to me.  Who the hell hyped that thing?   ::)  Space Hulk is one of their old staples.  If they were going to make a big print run of anything, I'd expect it to be a line such as this one. 

Besides, GW has some serious market pull and, from what I've seen over the years, a well established base to profit from.  It's not like they're some new publisher on the block bringing out Space Hulk as a new title.  Judging by how they've regularly loaned their boardgame & RPG lines to other publishers in recent years (FFG), they obviously don't care about doing them very much unless they can get a quick & dirty return on the whole thing.  All focus on their minis profit, per usual.  That's fine, if they would let FFG do all of them, including Space Hulk.  Then we could get it at a better price, but "ZOMG it has space marine minis in it!!!1"  ::)

:tickedoff:

The previous print run in 2009 was also the first major board game run by GW in years. So again, it was more of a test run than most people realize. And considering the quality of what was in the box, it's not the sort of thing anyone was going to run thousands of copies of.

Dreadfleet got a ton of attention as people built it up as a new Man o' War. And then it released to crickets.

As for their relationship with FFG, it makes sense for both the way it is. FFG are a board and RPG maker. GW doesn't want to be one anymore, so they license the rights to a company who does that sort of thing well. Meanwhile, FFG gets to use well known brand names. Both make a ton of money. However, I wouldn't ever expect a few exclusive brands to ever be licensed to a 3rd party. Space Hulk is one. The full version of Blood Bowl is another. You produce runs when the demand might actually mean something in terms of dollars.

And regardless of who produced this version of Space Hulk, it would have come in at the same $125 price point based on what's in the box. All of the stuff from 3rd edition plus a few new pieces and a bit of inflation and increased cost of production for $20-$25 more cost per unit from 3rd.

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 23, 2014, 05:21:02 AM

coffee down face moment

Especially with the current October Cancer Awareness theme going on...  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 15, 2014, 01:01:39 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 23, 2014, 05:21:02 AM

coffee down face moment

Especially with the current October Cancer Awareness theme going on...  :coolsmiley:

*wink wink nod nod*