Frightening Reads With a Supernatural Bent

Started by Gusington, September 22, 2014, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

ive heard the Road is supposed to be quite unpleasant

BanzaiCat

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 24, 2014, 03:31:51 AM
ive heard the Road is supposed to be quite unpleasant

I almost listed that one. That book IS supremely depressing. His style in it is mesmerizing, though - he doesn't use quotes to indicate dialogue.

Gusington

The Road is the one book I've read that has made me cry.

Unlike almost every WWI game I've played.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

now i know it doesnt take much to get you to well up, but was it that bad?

BanzaiCat

If you read The Road and you have a son, it will gut you emotionally.

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on September 23, 2014, 09:12:20 PM
It couldn't be any worse than the torture described in The Keep...thanks for the above Steelie, I like my reads to be quick, if possible. But if the Historian is really that good will I mind that it's 650 pages?

Gus, 'The Historian' is one creepy book.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

My copy is beckoning to me right now, much like ucg's mom.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

airboy

Dracula by Bram Stoker (you can get it free for a kindle if you look around)
A Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Call of Cthulhu

Those Who Stalk the Night - a very intelligent vampire book set in the late 1800s.  The protagonist is a guy who is a retired military spy for the UK.

I found The Stand to be horrifying.  But it fits well with the Bible and I believe that Satan is real.  If you don't have those beliefs, it may not be that frightening.

BanzaiCat

Survivor Type is a horrifying short story by Stephen King. It's about a guy that gets marooned on an island and writes a diary. He slowly eats himself to survive.

Gusington

Thanks Cat and Airboy...I've read Dracula and almost everything by Lovecraft...have not heard of Those Who Stalk the Night, will check that out.

Cannibalism isn't really on my bucket list.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Gusington

Ha true. The Road has more than its fair share of cannibalism btw.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

I just downloaded "Every Dead Thing" for my kindle. Can't say I don't take my own advice  O0

Toonces

Thank goodness I clicked on this thread!

Ok, first, both my wife and I are in the "did not like The Historian" camp.  I didn't stick real long with it, to be fair, and neither did my wife.  It certainly isn't a book that grabs you early, like Steelie mentions.  Maybe I'll revisit it, but I wouldn't put it high on your list. 

Re: Salem's Lot...super awesome book.  I've read it probably a half dozen times.  I have a hardback copy that has three King books in it: Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining.  I think I got it at Borders or B&N for like $10 a few years ago.  Might be worth a trip to the book store for that one.  Salem's Lot isn't a long book, so you should be able to get through it in a couple of days.

King's The Stand is probably my favorite book of all time, certainly in my top 3.  It was the very first book I bought for my Kindle, to put it in perspective, and I have two hardback copies because I read the first copy until it died.  I'm not religious at all and I still thought it was fantastic (there is definitely a good/evil religious aspect to it so I see Airboy's point). 

King's It is also very scary, but it is LONG.  However, it is a great book and it hooks you pretty early on.  I haven't read it in years and years, maybe 15 or 20 years? so I really do need to pick it up again soon.

I didn't care for the Wasteland books.  I keep getting to Book 2 and hitting the wall.  Maybe I need to stick with it longer, just power through Book 2 and then judge.

The book from which the first Alien movie was based is very scary, if I remember correctly.  Now we're talking a really long time ago!

That's about it.  I don't read too many scary books outside of Stephen King.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs