WWI Goes Steampunk

Started by bayonetbrant, April 19, 2012, 09:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Let's see what Herr Brant has to say.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

why do I have to say anything?

I just wanted some folks to check out the game and get back to us on how it plays :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on April 19, 2012, 10:43:19 AM
^I definitely do but I have no one to play with.

LB got a site I can get some DW minis at?

Yes.

I first checked to see if our advertiser Gamer's Armory had them, but did not see any.

Failing to find that, I would recommend Miniature Market. http://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures/spartan-games/dystopian-wars.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 19, 2012, 02:29:13 PM
why do I have to say anything?

I just wanted some folks to check out the game and get back to us on how it plays :)

Right now it's still in p500 for thirty bucks, to go up to forty-four after pub. I have no idea how close it is to daylight as of now and the blurb mentions that the rules are still 'rough'. Maybe one of you official-type guys can sweet talk some game 'alpha-bits' out of Mark Walker and take 'em for a spin around the tabletop.

Does L&L ever report their p500 levels in public?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

LNLP never reports p500 levels.  Mark's got a personal crusade against doing so, so don't try to understand it or reason with him about it.

I talked w/ Scott at Gamer's Armory and he doesn't have DW stuff in-stock, but can get it pretty quickly.  There hasn't been a huge groundswell for it around here.  Maybe if LB comes down to run a few demo games, they'll get a bunch of converts and he'll stock it regularly.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 20, 2012, 09:28:50 AM
LNLP never reports p500 levels.  Mark's got a personal crusade against doing so, so don't try to understand it or reason with him about it.

That's too bad. If it were reasonably close I'd pull the trigger now. He should at least consider advertising when a title is nearly there so as to create a buzz and a sense of urgency as to the pre-release price. I understand that he might not want people to feel discouraged early on but I think marking the product page as, say, 80 or 90% to goal would be helpful.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

LongBlade

I can see both sides of the debate. On one hand, it's helpful to know if something is close. On the other, you could see something languish with 50 orders and that's no fun either.

All I can say is that he needs to make this a minis game. I know the guys at Spartan if Mark wants some contacts.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

It's not quite minis but the land dreadnaughts do stand up on edge in stands.....

Staggerwing

With Rapid Prototyping you could design your own minis. If you don't want to shell out for a 3D printer you can email your designs to companies that will make them for you. Not sure about what kind of files they can accept though.

besilarius

http://www.pointcon.org/

Geez, Gus.  You live so close to the Military Academy at West Point and don't know they have a miniatures gaming club and an annual convention?
Get out from under that Rock!
Send an email to waddell (at the above website) and get leading, mister!
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Pinetree

You might also want to check out Leviathans, which is set just before WW1

http://monstersinthesky.com/
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Gusington

Thanks Bes. I spend most of my time at USMA going to tattoos and hockey games :) Thanks for the links, Bes and Pinetree!

EDIT: Leviathans looks awesome too :(

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Capn Darwin

Leviathans looks awesome and is a neat system, but will they every get it out. It was supposed to launch at Origins last year, then GenCon, then... you see the pattern.  :-\
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Another picture of test game of Steam & Steel for Gus....