Airboy Needs Book Help

Started by airboy, July 28, 2015, 06:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

This probably isn't appropriate for hitting the most notable points in history, but it's an entertaining read featuring lesser known historical bits along the way:

The Mental Floss' History Of The world

If nothing else, get it for yourself for some less stuffy reading on interesting & odd stuff related to historical events & figures.  Mental Floss also has a US history one I've not read yet, and some other similar ones (Big Hair to the Big Bang, etc). 

Bison

Ray Bradbury most any of it to be honest, but you can never go wrong with Something Wicked This Way Comes. 

MetalDog

I always knew I liked you, Bison!  Bradbury ROCKS!!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 06:23:21 PM
Cats Cradle is good, too.

Yes. Yes it is. As is Sirens of Venus, though bleak.

However, for a first introduction into the mind of Kurt Vonnegut you cannot beat 'Welcome to the Monkey House'. It's all in there, in some form or other.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Did I forget to check in with the Bro again last night to find that series?

Yes. Yes I did.  :buck2: In my defense, their house is being worked on so they're not spending the night there at the moment. (Homonym trifecta, woo!)

To trick kids into reading more and better, though -- I mean generally -- you can always pick a movie or anime he'd like, then set the audio to non-English and turn on the subtitles.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

Asked my son, who is now in his 30s, what he recalls.
He suggested a series by Gordon Dickson, The Dragon and the George.  First book is natureally the best, but all were intelligent, entertaining and made you care about the main characters.
You may remember Dickson for his Dorsai stories.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Nefaro

Oh... I thought this was a recommendation for a book on history.  Did I misunderstand?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on August 02, 2015, 06:29:40 AMDid I misunderstand?

Quote from: airboy on July 28, 2015, 06:27:26 PMI need book recommendations for English/History by US Authors suitable for a 16 year old who will be forced to read.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Soooo... saying "English" just means anything printed in English then?

That's pretty almost everything, then.  No?  :P

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on August 07, 2015, 08:15:49 PM
Soooo... saying "English" just means anything printed in English then?

That's pretty almost everything, then.  No?  :P

he did add "by US authors" ;)

BanzaiCat

I'd recommend William Forstchen, especially his Lost Regiment series (which isn't exactly history, but methodology, engineering, problem-solving, and the like come out in spades, and it's a fascinating series not to mention action-packed and reads like some kind of massive epic).

He and Newt Gingrich did some interesting alt-history stuff, like 1945 and Gettysburg.

MetalDog

I read Forstchen's The Gamester Wars trilogy.  Great generals are plucked out Earth's past and made to fight on distant planets with native troops.  A syndicate of alien gamblers funds the venture and they wager on the outcome.  Fairly sure they are out of print, but, it's an easy read and might excite a peripheral desire to learn about the history of Alexander, Napoleon, etc.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 29, 2015, 07:15:17 PM
I'd recommend William Forstchen, especially his Lost Regiment series (which isn't exactly history, but methodology, engineering, problem-solving, and the like come out in spades, and it's a fascinating series not to mention action-packed and reads like some kind of massive epic).

He and Newt Gingrich did some interesting alt-history stuff, like 1945 and Gettysburg.

+1 Forstchen has done some interesting books. The early Lost Regiment books are quite good, though the series went on too long, imho. 

I used to game with Forstchen when he live in Maine, 25-30 years ago. Interesting dude, though you couldn't trust him in a game of laser tag.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MetalDog on August 29, 2015, 08:50:32 PM
I read Forstchen's The Gamester Wars trilogy.  Great generals are plucked out Earth's past and made to fight on distant planets with native troops.  A syndicate of alien gamblers funds the venture and they wager on the outcome.  Fairly sure they are out of print, but, it's an easy read and might excite a peripheral desire to learn about the history of Alexander, Napoleon, etc.

I actually found this in a used bookstore today...it jumped out at me, kinda. I was just browsing a couple of shelves after getting a book for my daughter for school and there it was. Thanks for the recommend.