What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

solops

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 10, 2021, 07:46:00 PM
Some interesting views on the origins of humanity.

Fossils may indicate that human ancestors evolved in Europe.

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/evolution-europe 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170523083548.htm

Musings on the above mentioned article and a deep dive into the possibility that humanity was genetically engineered.

This is quite an interesting idea. You have to skip to the middle of the video to get past all of the political posturing BS to get to the point about mutation and 23 vs 24 pairs of chromosomes, but once you get there there are some thought provoking points made. I suspect some further due diligence in necessary on the part of the reader/viewer.

Edit a few minutes later -  it did not take long to find a rebuttal, which is hilarious in places.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/the-mystery-of-the-missing-chromosome-with-a-special-guest-appearance-from-facebook-creationists

The rebuttal has some flaws in it as well. It does not address some of the more interesting points of the video and its characterization of  the the group  suggesting genetic engineering as "creationists" does not make sense to me, unless there is a third interpretation out there claiming the Finger of God is at play in genetic engineering. The key seems to be whether an individual with the 23 chromosome mutation can successfully mate with a 24 chromosome individual and produce viable offspring that carry the trait (way back then). No one seems to investigate that point very well, beyond saying "it can't happen because we cannot breed with apes". Obviously, either successful breeding did occur, or someone played with the genes of a large enough group of proto-hominids to create a viable breeding pool.

Or we are the descendants of a race from another world, unrelated to earth hominids.

Or the result of early hominid magic!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Windigo

Modern homo sapiens used to bang with Neanderthals quite frequently.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

^Do you have some dirty cave scrawlings you created that you want to share with us?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Was he the Neanderthal or the 'modern homosapein'?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

It's pretty telling that just about all the highly upvoted comments on that "genetic engineering" YouTube video are people shouting about how enlightened they are for knowing the truth and some totally not coded racist remarks about how diversity is bad and it's OK to only want to hang out with people that "look like you."   :2funny:  ::)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Virgin Galactic (VSS Unity SpaceShipTwo) will launch into space today.  Here (YT) you can watch it live.

Should start in about 2 hours.

steve58

Sounds like he had a great trip. 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Pete Dero

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-first-photos-unveiled

The first published image taken by the James Webb Space Telescope shows part of a mosaic created over 25 hours beginning on Feb. 2, 2022, early in the process of aligning the 18 segments of the James Webb Space Telescope's mirror.

A "selfie" shows the 18 segments of the James Webb Space Telescope's primary mirror as seen from a specialized camera inside the NIRCam instrument.

Sir Slash

Pete Dero

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncir.2022.815838/full  - Brain Connectometry Changes in Space Travelers After Long-Duration Spaceflight.

Physiological changes from being in space reverse themselves once an astronaut is back on Earth, others can be offset through diet, exercise, and other actions.
But when it comes to the brain, changes may be more permanent for space travelers, as found by the new peer-reviewed study published Friday in Frontiers of Neural Circuits.

After spaceflight, Wuyts and his team identified tiny "microstructural" changes that occurred not only in the sensorimotor tracts of the brain but also in regions like the cerebellum, which plays a big role in movement and mediating social behavior.
Changes were also seen in white matter tracts connecting the corpus callosum (the communication bridge between our left and right brain hemispheres) and regions involved in language processing and executive function.
On the final MRIs taken seven months later, some microstructural changes reverted to pre-flight conditions—but not all of them. It's one of the first major pieces of evidence to demonstrate that space can permanently alter the human brain.
Wuyts' team thinks the space environment (and its microgravity conditions) causes fluid cavities in the brain to dilate, pushing adjacent neural tissue around.