Main Menu

Stadiums

Started by JudgeDredd, September 07, 2017, 02:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

As I'm currently into baseball and looking at the Seattle Mariners, I decided to look on Youtube to see some fan videos of actually going to a game.

Man - you lot know how to build stadia!

Safeco Field is amazing. The food bars, the seating, the views, TV screens EVERYWHERE. It made me think about that shitehole I go to to watch Scotland play rugby at (Murrayfield) which, whilst an amazing experience, is actually pretty poor in terms of comfort and amenities.

Lucky buggers
Alba gu' brath

MetalDog

Not sure that what you would pay to see your rugby team would come anywhere close to what it costs to go see a game here in America.  I just read the other day that it costs $500 to take a family of four to a NFL game.  No thank you.  But I will agree with you on the stadiums themselves.  You really want to see something, look for Cowboys Stadium.  It's where Dallas plays their home football games.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on September 07, 2017, 09:34:01 PM
Not sure that what you would pay to see your rugby team would come anywhere close to what it costs to go see a game here in America.  I just read the other day that it costs $500 to take a family of four to a NFL game.  No thank you.  But I will agree with you on the stadiums themselves.  You really want to see something, look for Cowboys Stadium.  It's where Dallas plays their home football games.

If you want a serious gameday experience, there's nothing like SEC football.  Baton Rouge under the lights when the crowd is good and liquored up and 'Bama or Auburn or Florida or Ole Miss is in town, and the noise level is loud enough to (literally) register on the seismograph at the geology department is unlike anything else.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

There's three places I want to go in the SEC: The Grove, Tuscaloosa for an Iron Bowl, and Baton Rouge for a night game against 'Bama.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

Nothing tops Thunderdome. Aunty Entity knows how to put on an event.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

What's your best and worst you've ever been to?
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 08, 2017, 12:39:46 AMWhat's your best and worst you've ever been to?

Best stadium for overall experience might be the Durham Bulls Athletic Park (The DBAP) here locally.  They're the AAA baseball team here, and they built a new park downtown, tucked in between a few big office buildings, so it's not the park that was the Bull Durham movie anymore (though I saw some games there, too)
Great food, nice outfield tables along the wall, no bad seats anywhere for a great view of the game, lots of good entry/exit points means no lines stacking up to get in & out.

Worst?  The old Candlestick Park in SF was pretty crappy.  Easy in and out, but the wind just sucked and it was cold at day games in May and the amenities were state-of-the-art of 1968, except that I was at games in the 80s and 90s.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

The Aberdeen Ironbirds play at Ripken Stadium which is pretty cool. You can eat steamed crabs while watching the game from behind home plate!

There are also a number of little league parks on the grounds, one modeled after Camden Yards with a warehouse in left just like at Orioles Park and replicas of Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium and Wrigley Field.

Seats are cheap and you may run into Cal or his brother Billy walking through the concourse.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!