Painting and health questions

Started by JudgeDredd, September 18, 2017, 04:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Anyone on here any idea about safety with painting models?

I've seen people talking about wearing a respirator whilst painting and suggesting it shouldn't be an option. Now I paint in an enclosed room. Not ideal. I do however have a spray booth - though it's not brilliant (I noticed some spray coming back at me from time to time).

So my situation isn't great. But - I seldom do my models. I literally paint 2 to 3 models a year. However, I am probably breathing in fumes and particles. The wife has mentioned how smelly the room is when she pops in now and again.

I would say I don't "feel" any effects. It's not like I get high or irritable eyes or skin or anything.

So I'm just wondering - do I really need to have a spray mask when painting no more than 3 models a year?
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

You can safely paint with acrylic or enamel brush paints indoors.  Airbrushing is also fine. 

What's not fine are spray primers and paints.  Those give off significant additional fumes and residue and are very dangerous without proper ventilation.  I always spray prime outside.   

You also want to be careful with using any powerful thinners indoors, like acetone.

A final thing to be careful with is working with resin models.  If you're doing any kind of shaving or grinding on the model, say using a dremel to punch a hole or grind down a defect, you'll want to wear a respirator just in case.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Ive always done all sanding of bondo, resin, and model putty outdoors.  that shit is not healthy in any quantity.
Ive also done as much air brushing and spray painting outdoors because its also not healthy shit.
if you have a spray booth then the fan should be strong enough to pull all vapors and paint particles out of the room.
if you're getting some back into the room get a better fan.
seeing as how youre Scottish you already don't have the brain cells to spare so why take chances with chronic Mirthtosis.  :))
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.