Matchlock to Flintlock by William Urban.

Started by Bismarck, August 01, 2012, 12:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

The title not withstanding, this book isn't about firearms or tactics but a tour de force about all the wars between 1500 - 1700. Especially interesting are the commentaries on Portuguese naval ops in the Indian Ocean, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Turkish Wars and armies. The weakness is organization as Urbin switched between topic and chronology.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

That sounds like it's right up in my wheelhouse, thanks for posting. This is the same William Urban who wrote The Teutonic Knights, correct?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

Gusington

The Teutonic Knights by Urban is one of my favorite books. I will definitely be getting this...the only question now is what to play while reading it?

Linky: http://www.amazon.com/MATCHLOCKS-TO-FLINTLOCKS-Warfare-1500-1700/dp/1848326289/ref=la_B001I727FU_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343862790&sr=1-1

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Hmmm. I have far too many unread books now, but this sounds like a nice detour from my WWII and Warhammer readings.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.