7 Wonders

Started by bayonetbrant, January 28, 2012, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on January 28, 2018, 12:45:15 AMWe took an excruciatingly long time to suss the rules, but, once we did, it was pretty smooth sailing.  Got my butt handed to me twice :(  Can't wait to play again.  Everyone is else is so excited that I had no trouble convincing them to come back in two weeks for another go at it.  We had 4 tonight.  Can't wait to get seven!

it's a much, much easier game to have someone teach you than to try and learn by the rules. 
It's one of my all-time favorites.

As I noted in my first article about it "I have played 7 Wonders with a well-known wargame designer, his daughters, a former comic-book author, a high-school math teacher, my 10-year-old son, and my mom.  And they've all come back for more."
The fact that my son is now 14 tells you how long ago I wrote it, but I'd been playing (and loving) the game well before that, since that article was written after the first 2 expansions had been released, too, and I bought both of them the day they were each released.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I'm fairly sure we'll be after whatever expansions the FLGS has before too long.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on January 28, 2018, 09:02:34 AM
I'm fairly sure we'll be after whatever expansions the FLGS has before too long.

Skip the Leaders expansion - it's crap.

Cities is a must-buy; it is fantastic.

The Babel box is a mixed bag.  The building of the tower and the rules changes as you go can be pretty fiddly, but the "great projects" that multiple players can help build are pretty neat and offer some very interesting twists.

There's also a pretty cool mini-expansion that just gives you some extra Wonders to play with.  One of them requires the Leaders expansion, but the others can all be played with the basic set, so you can get the Great Wall of China in the game, for instance.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

We got the Seven Wonders expansion for the game at the same time as the base.  Found out you need Leaders to play Abu Simbel, but, you can play the rest in there as is, including the Great Wall.  O0 

Saw the Babel expansion, didn't really know what it was, so, left it be.

Saw the Cities expansion in the game literature included in the box and that looks great.  Glad you concur.  Makes it easier to buy ;)

bayonetbrant

Babel is 2 expansions in 1 box.  One of them is pretty good (the great projects) and one of them is kinda fiddly and not a lot of fun (Babel)

MetalDog

Good to know.  We'll see how much enthusiasm carries forward.  Everybody is pretty stoked at the moment.  Let's see if it continues.

jamus34

I brought this to my parents when I visited them over thanksgiving. The first two games were rough and I thought they were going to give up (as my mom puts it she hates "thinking games").

We stuck it out however and ended up playing 12 games of this over the course of the long weekend. With three people it's still a little unbalanced as the player who can get their science machine rolling usually has an easy path to victory but it was fun overall.
Insert witty comment here.