5 Free Osprey Ebooks a week for four weeks

Started by Destraex, March 23, 2020, 05:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

I've been trying since yesterday to get the new books and their site is super slow and sometimes even crashing on me. Same thing this morning.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

W8taminute

Quote from: WallysWorld on April 09, 2020, 09:01:44 AM
I've been trying since yesterday to get the new books and their site is super slow and sometimes even crashing on me. Same thing this morning.

I'm experiencing the same thing right now as well.  There must be a lot of people out there taking advantage of this offer. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

demjansk1942

Thanks Steve, I did that eventually, still problems.  Maybe do it from desktop.

demjansk1942

demjansk1942

I found the answer, it looks like they are having problems with the server.  I did a search and looked at the message of Facebook response
https://www.facebook.com/Osprey-Publishing-7188464611/

Osprey Publishing
7 hrs ·

We would like to apologise to all customers who are still encountering issues with the website. Some of the issues are related to the extremely high numbers of customers trying to use the site but we are also aware that some of you are also seeing a 'wrong store' error message and struggling to reset your passwords. We are investigating all of these issues as a matter of urgency and will provide an update as soon as possible.

For those of you receiving the 'wrong store' err... See More

demjansk1942

I am still having difficulty logging in, not able to get in.  I have the USA store and still not successful.  Is anyone able to get the books?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Same from Canada.  No luck for week 3 so far.

steve58

Strange.  I was able to place my Week 3 order earlier this week with only 1 hiccup towards the end.  Did a retry and it went through fairly quickly from what I remember.  Prior to just a few minutes ago, I had only downloaded 2 of 15 free PDFs.  I just downloaded all the rest in less than 1 minute (really wish Osprey would name the downloads by title!).  So, maybe the problem has been resolved or maybe its your locations or ISP?  I'm in northern Virginia and use Comcast.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

For those having issues with Osprey, possibly solution for you. Seems they are having trouble with the wrong country being assigned to people as their store. For example, by default I was put in United Kingdom store and I didn't realize that, then I added all my free books and attempted to checkout. Then received message said I had incorrect store because of my address not matching United Kingdom. I tried changing the country (at top of screen) and continue to lock up and even when I tried login, would often time out. I figured out the issue was because of the incorrect store and the items in my cart being selected when I had the incorrect country set.

To fix it:

1) Login to the site while the incorrect country is set (in my case United Kingdom)...this will allow you to login. The country dropdown at top of the screen must be set to the incorrect country that was set when you first added your books to the cart.

2) Go to your shopping cart, remove all the contents you added when you had the incorrect country selected.

3) Now go to the top of the screen and change the country to the correct one (in my case United States)

4) Then go and re-add all the free books again.

5) Then go through the checkout process and it will work fine.

It appears there is some issue between the country it selects for you and the items in your cart being linked to that. Following the steps above, worked great for me and instantly was able to get my books after struggling the last few days.

Hope this helps people who might be experiencing the same problem.

steve58

Week 4 is up:

Jagdgeschwader 52 by John Weal
Japan 1945 by Clayton K. S. Chun
Viking Warrior vs Anglo-Saxon Warrior by Gareth Williams
M1 Abrams vs T-72 Ural by Steven J. Zaloga
Bill Slim by Robert Lyman

I was hoping for some more naval stuff, but Thanks again Osprey!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

fran

Silent Disapproval Robot

Still craps out when I try to check out even when following the instructions posted by Grim.

Grim.Reaper

Maybe different issue, but since using this approach, mine has worked each time, including the latest books.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Looks like it was just traffic.  Finally worked for me.

demjansk1942

I created a new account and got it to work.