War on the Sea coming soon! (from Killerfish Games)

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

You just beat me to the punch. My trigger finger is starting to twitch. It looks good.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 02, 2021, 05:34:18 PM
You just beat me to the punch. My trigger finger is starting to twitch. It looks good.

Looks too good...so I am a little concerned spending $40 on a chance:)

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Lemme check it out on the Steam page, but I'm pretty sure I'm taking this bullet.  BRB.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Next up, SDR's review.... just send him $40.  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

There are a couple of gameplay videos on Twitch.  It looks like a blend of all of Killerfish's older games.  Not exactly what I'm looking for, but there seems to be a lot of potential.

https://www.twitch.tv/noname117spore/video/898601644

https://www.twitch.tv/thefannon/video/898562618

As always, you kinda have to tune out the guys narrating the gameplay.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on February 02, 2021, 07:40:04 PM
There are a couple of gameplay videos on Twitch.  It looks like a blend of all of Killerfish's older games.  Not exactly what I'm looking for, but there seems to be a lot of potential.

https://www.twitch.tv/noname117spore/video/898601644

https://www.twitch.tv/thefannon/video/898562618

As always, you kinda have to tune out the guys narrating the gameplay.

I hate when these guys make videos and have no idea how to play the game. The first video has a torpedo run at about 1:15 in that looks spectacular. It might have sold me. Some of the screenshots that can come out of this game will be extremely impressive. Flak, explosions, water impacts...all very immersive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Looking at this right now on Steam. Uncanny timing!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm still working my way through the tutorials.  Very early impressions here so take it with a grain of salt.  So far it feels like they've taken bits and pieces from a lot of different naval games and smooshed them all together. 

Ship controls, movement, orders, and gunnery remind me of a mix of Atlantic Fleet and PT Boats: Knights of the Sea.  Tactical view and cameras are reminiscent of Cold Waters.  The operational layer is somewhat similar to Victory at Sea: Pacific.      The tactical map is very similar to PT Boats. 

It's all pretty intuitive so far and it looks quite nice.  I like the fact that they have two different default key bindings to choose from.  One for normies (WASD setup) and one for lefties using the NUMPAD. 

The camera controls have a few idiosyncrasies to them.  Looking up to spot planes requires you to hold down the DOWN arrow key and I think camera pan speed on this feature is a bit slow.  Tapping the middle mouse button key swaps between surface and underwater view, even if you're using binoculars (although it does cancel binoc view when underwater).  This threw me a bit as I had the binoc view toggle mapped to the middle mouse button in a different naval game so unlearning this is going to take a bit of time.

I haven't had a chance to see how the AI performs yet.  I hope it's good.  The wonky AI is what ultimately kept me from really getting into Victory at Sea: Pacific.

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Silent Disapproval Robot

Now I want to re-enact the actions of HMCS Oakville.
(start at approx 23:00 in this video)

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 02, 2021, 08:06:29 PM
I'm still working my way through the tutorials.  Very early impressions here so take it with a grain of salt.  So far it feels like they've taken bits and pieces from a lot of different naval games and smooshed them all together. 

Ship controls, movement, orders, and gunnery remind me of a mix of Atlantic Fleet and PT Boats: Knights of the Sea.  Tactical view and cameras are reminiscent of Cold Waters.  The operational layer is somewhat similar to Victory at Sea: Pacific.      The tactical map is very similar to PT Boats. 

It's all pretty intuitive so far and it looks quite nice.  I like the fact that they have two different default key bindings to choose from.  One for normies (WASD setup) and one for lefties using the NUMPAD. 

The camera controls have a few idiosyncrasies to them.  Looking up to spot planes requires you to hold down the DOWN arrow key and I think camera pan speed on this feature is a bit slow.  Tapping the middle mouse button key swaps between surface and underwater view, even if you're using binoculars (although it does cancel binoc view when underwater).  This threw me a bit as I had the binoc view toggle mapped to the middle mouse button in a different naval game so unlearning this is going to take a bit of time.

I haven't had a chance to see how the AI performs yet.  I hope it's good.  The wonky AI is what ultimately kept me from really getting into Victory at Sea: Pacific.

I'm looking at it.  I tried to set up the classic "Meat cleaver and a bottle of asprin" scenario raid off New Guinea in the Spring of '42...but not having read the manual things came out pretty crudely even for that sort of thing and instead I ended up flying over the Tenyru (one of my favorite light cruisers) and then shooting her with your basic naval guns which worked well but was somehow disappointing.  Here's the cruiser and that's Guadalcanal in the background standing in for New Guinea: