Masks - Why They Drive Me Nuts

Started by airboy, September 30, 2020, 11:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Apparently they drive CNN Anchor Chris Como nuts too. The Godfather of Masks harps on his show about the Civic Duty of wearing a mask in public at all times. But it turns-out his very own landlord sent him a letter back in August telling him he had been seen repeatedly entering and exiting his building as well as riding the elevator without face covering as required by his brother the Gov.'s Executive Order. Chris could be facing a.... $500 fine.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

I find all the kvetching about masks to be curious.  They're inconvenient and limit my freedom, just like seat belts, traffic signs, paying taxes, and the requirement to get a driver's license if I want to drive a car.

In today's Internet age, we can find one "expert" who's willing to back us on any opinion we might have.  The vast majority of medical experts that I've heard speak on the topic here in the U.S., regardless of whether it's personal friends, in the media, speaking to local audiences via Zoom, etc., suggest that masks are a big part of the solution.

I don't get why they're such a sore spot for so many people on both sides, unless they're maybe a symbol for something else?

airboy

^ I started this.  The things annoy me for the reasons I gave.

I still wear one when inside a public building.  For whatever reason, fewer US citizens where I'm going out (Rural Western NC small town, medium sized town in Alabama).

Almost nobody is wearing them aside from me at the Gym - even in the aerobics area where people are breathing hard.  Even when the aerobics area is crowded.  This is in two gyms in two different states.  Compliance is going down at the grocery stores, Wal-Mart and hardware stores.  Even at Mass fewer people are wearing masks - although Mass has the highest compliance rate of anywhere else I go.

demjansk1942

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 21, 2020, 10:08:32 PM
Apparently they drive CNN Anchor Chris Como nuts too. The Godfather of Masks harps on his show about the Civic Duty of wearing a mask in public at all times. But it turns-out his very own landlord sent him a letter back in August telling him he had been seen repeatedly entering and exiting his building as well as riding the elevator without face covering as required by his brother the Gov.'s Executive Order. Chris could be facing a.... $500 fine.  :bd:

https://pagesix.com/2020/10/26/chris-cuomo-socializes-mask-free-at-private-members-club/

From Today Mon Oct 26

Chris Cuomo socializes mask-free at private members club

This entire thing is going insane with the kids out of school, a bunch of ruined lives will be the result, good for Amazon and EA

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jejo68

Right so the long awaited Danish study on the effect of wearing mask finally came out today.

In short:
2.1 % of the participants who didnt wear mask got Covic
1.8% of the participants who did wear mask got Covid

Estimated effect is a 15-20% protection for the mask wearer.

The study didn't conclude if the mask protected other people from being contaminated by the mask wearer.

Will see if I can get a hold on the whole study.

Pete Dero

Quote from: jejo68 on November 18, 2020, 01:02:58 PM
The study didn't conclude if the mask protected other people from being contaminated by the mask wearer.

While that is the main reason to wear a mask.

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 18, 2020, 01:09:53 PM
Quote from: jejo68 on November 18, 2020, 01:02:58 PM

While that is the main reason to wear a mask.

That is hard to measure except in small scale laboratory conditions, but those have already shown a good effectiveness in that respect.

In our games we happily take bonuses of 10%, but society is too stupid to make such choices, because exceptionalism.

Sir Slash

The Danish make great Coffee Cakes. I would wear one of those as a mask any day.  :bd:

Gusington

Chris Cuomo is not...the brightest. I'll leave it at that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: al_infierno on September 30, 2020, 03:08:53 PM
@SDR - It's OK to not like wearing them, but they're definitely not useless.  They prevent you from unknowingly spreading contagions to others.  They're not meant to protect you from contagions.  In their intended purpose, they are very useful -- I guess the real question is whether or not you care about potentially infecting people who are at risk.
I used to think as you do. I have done a lot of research into the evidence put forward by dissenting scientists and doctors and have changed my mind.

I disagree that they are effective. There is plenty of evidence that they are like trying to stop a mosquito with chicken wire. Plus the eyes are unprotected, which allow viral particles to get in through the tear ducts. There is also plenty of evidence to indicate why they are unhealthy to wear due to hypoxia, hypocapnia, and the build up of bacteria in the mask itself. Many scientists are of the view that regular wearing of a mask can actually shorten your life.

This interview by an eminent German microbiologist deals with this and other Covid issues (such as the risk of infection from asymptomatic cases). Listen to it with an open mind and decide what you think in the light of it.

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat