Right wing militia arrested for preparing to kidnap Michigan Governor

Started by JasonPratt, October 08, 2020, 08:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

https://www.compuserve.com/news/story/0002/20201008/KBN26T2ZF_9

Unsure if this is behind a paywall, but I'm sure there will be more coverage sooner than later.

The gist (from the Reuters article) is that thirteen people, including seven men associated with the Wolverine Watchmen militia group, were planning to attack the state capital and detonate explosives (possibly at a bridge) to divert attention during their kidnapping of Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer from her vacation home (whom they then planned to put on "trial" for her "crimes"). They planned to do this before the November 3rd election, in order to prepare America for a coming civil war after the election.

I'm starting this in Current Events but I can foresee this going to RP eventually, for some obvious reasons. Until then, just the facts in the case if possible.

(For what it's worth, I agree they deserve life in prison.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Funnily enough, the article on FOX news kept spelling the name of a guy involved in the plot, Fox, in all caps, which resulted in some rather unfortunate sentences :D
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jamus34

Quote from: solops on October 09, 2020, 12:55:22 AM
Idiots.

Not sure if that was directed at the media or the assailants.

Either there's a whole lotta stupid in this country nowadays.
Insert witty comment here.

Tripoli

For what it is worth, I'm not sure that this was a "Right wing" militia, (as the title of the thread suggests)   Frankly, there isn't much information on this group.  They were not on the SPLC's radar, which is very finely tuned to detect right wing groups. ;)  I would point people to this video,
https://twitter.com/i/status/1314281015591022592
Where  Brandon Caserta poses in front of a anarchist flag, while claiming the Declaration of Independence is an anarchist document.  Late in the video, he appears to possibly begin to argue against the US Consititution, but the video ends before he completes his analysis, so I can't accurately evaluate what he was saying.

In summary, based on the limitted evidence I have seen, this group may be a left wing or anarchist group.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

solops

Quote from: jamus34 on October 09, 2020, 05:53:40 AM
Quote from: solops on October 09, 2020, 12:55:22 AM
Idiots.

Not sure if that was directed at the media or the assailants.

Either there's a whole lotta stupid in this country nowadays.

The wannabe kidnappers.The whole concept fails on so many levels it is hardly believable. As a matter of fact it is not believable. I think the real reason is something else entirely and the story we were given is a quick cover thought up by a particularly stupid government bureaucrat.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

airboy

^ I don't know.  Every time I've bet against the stupid of humanity I've lost.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

The ACTUAL truth won't come-out for some time and won't matter by that time. The, 'Spin' will be broadcast by the Dems and their media allies that it's all a, 'Vast Right Wing Conspiracy', where've I heard that one before,  orchestrated by Trump to influence the election....somehow. Somebody will come-up with some way to link, "Stand Back, Stand Down" as code words to attack now. Kudos to the Justice Dept. and FBI for getting ahead of this and acting so quickly.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 09, 2020, 10:36:07 AM
The ACTUAL truth won't come-out for some time and won't matter by that time. The, 'Spin' will be broadcast by the Dems and their media allies that it's all a, 'Vast Right Wing Conspiracy', where've I heard that one before,  orchestrated by Trump to influence the election....somehow. Somebody will come-up with some way to link, "Stand Back, Stand Down" as code words to attack now. Kudos to the Justice Dept. and FBI for getting ahead of this and acting so quickly.  :clap:

They can claim he was Right wing, but he was no fan of Trumps.  My guess is he's totally Antifa.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1314326553506000897
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Windigo

Conspiracy believing idiots with guns make everyone look bad....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

al_infierno

Quote from: Tripoli on October 09, 2020, 05:55:42 AM
For what it is worth, I'm not sure that this was a "Right wing" militia, (as the title of the thread suggests)   Frankly, there isn't much information on this group.  They were not on the SPLC's radar, which is very finely tuned to detect right wing groups. ;)  I would point people to this video,
https://twitter.com/i/status/1314281015591022592
Where  Brandon Caserta poses in front of a anarchist flag, while claiming the Declaration of Independence is an anarchist document.  Late in the video, he appears to possibly begin to argue against the US Consititution, but the video ends before he completes his analysis, so I can't accurately evaluate what he was saying.

In summary, based on the limitted evidence I have seen, this group may be a left wing or anarchist group.

There's also a video of him with a Don't Tread on Me flag, which lefties usually don't swing that way.  I'm thinking he's a right-wing anarchist, aka an ANCAP.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

The BBC reports they have links to a militia group called the Boogaloo Bois.

It's actually quite hard to describe the motives of the group. It's not "right-wing" in a traditional sense. Members of the movement are vehemently against law enforcement - some have been arrested for killing police officers.

Broadly speaking, they are extremist libertarians - think Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber, but with guns.

The term "Boogaloo" is usually a reference to a civil war. They have an entrenched hatred of big government - confusingly they are also often pro-Trump, though not exclusively. Hence why their ire is often focused on state rather than federal government.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54470427

al_infierno

To be clear, it doesn't make a difference to me if these guys were right-wing nutjobs or left-wing nutjobs.  Either way they're nutjobs who should be locked up.  But it's interesting to try and pin down what their beliefs exactly are.  "Right-wing anarchism" strikes me as being a hilariously contradictory hodgepodge of ideas.

- MengJiao