Favourite genre poll

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, August 15, 2012, 08:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Seems like most Grog readers here are SF fans.  I'm not much of one myself so let's see where reader's hearts lie.

TheCommandTent

Thats a tough one.  When I first saw the thread I thought I knew the answer before reading the options.  After reading them I am down to three favorites.

I picked Sci-Fi/Fantasy in the polls as thats what I am currently reading.

However, my other top two are Historical Fiction and Military History.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Hard for me as well.  I don't know if there's a way to set up the poll to let you pick 1-2-3.

Mine would be

1) Historical fiction
2) Spy novels
3) Military history

Gusington

No military historical bodice rippers?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 15, 2012, 08:51:18 PM
Hard for me as well.  I don't know if there's a way to set up the poll to let you pick 1-2-3.

Mine would be

1) Historical fiction
2) Spy novels
3) Military history

You can set up the voting to allow 'X' number of times.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 15, 2012, 08:53:56 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 15, 2012, 08:51:18 PM

Mine would be

1) Historical fiction
2) Spy novels
3) Military history

You can set up the voting to allow 'X' number of times.

Thanks.  I saw that but wasn't sure if that was to let one pick 3 different things or to madly click away because one really, really likes bodice rippers.  Let me try to edit it. 

EDIT: Nope, can't change the number of votes now, just the choices.

Barthheart

Mine is SciFi.... but not fantasy! Those 2 should never be grouped.... >:(  (There your bitching for this evening...)

Steelgrave

Quote from: Barthheart on August 15, 2012, 10:17:53 PM
Mine is SciFi.... but not fantasy! Those 2 should never be grouped.... >:(  (There your bitching for this evening...)
Agreed! I love SciFi but my fantasy tastes go no further than the dragons and mystical arts of A Game of Thrones. Besides SciFi, what I read most often is usually classified as suspense thrillers, which can include anything from a Koontz novel to what are classified as crime novels here.

My biggest hook though? Apocalypse fiction. End of the world stuff, whether SuperFlu or zombies or comets hitting the earth. That genre is something I can't get enough of.

My perfect movie would involve the Sons of Anarchy surviving in The Walking Dead universe. Kick ass!!!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I was going to split it but it seems that the Warhammer 40K is very popular and I don't know how to classify it except as a fusion of SF and fantasy. 

Greybriar

Quote from: Barthheart on August 15, 2012, 10:17:53 PM

My favorites are fantasy but not science fiction, although I do read the latter as well as many of the other genres included in the poll.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

Steelie I have been looking for good apocalypse fiction forever but can't really find much to read while playing Fallout New Vegas. I did read The Stand years ago and dug it. What can you recommend? I would prefer a single book over a series. Oh and I read and loved A Canticle for Lebowitz too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

This is really difficult for me to answer.

I'll go in waves.

I'll hit a 40K wave, then move on to something else.

Lately I've been reading a bunch of first-hand WWII memoirs, but last night I picked up a WH40k omnibus after a two year hiatus.

But I also enjoy some good comic books (can't bring myself to call them graphic novels), and for I while I was hot and heavy into D&D fiction.

I've tried to get into some steampunk but most of the writers I've come across just aren't that great. I keep trying, though.

Oh, and I've enjoyed some Warhammer fantasy novels, too. Just when I think I've found a niche, I find something else.

Sorry - can't really settle on one for a vote.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on August 16, 2012, 06:51:25 AM
Steelie I have been looking for good apocalypse fiction forever but can't really find much to read while playing Fallout New Vegas. I did read The Stand years ago and dug it. What can you recommend? I would prefer a single book over a series. Oh and I read and loved A Canticle for Lebowitz too.

Gus, let me dig around and get back to you. I have a couple in mind but the titles aren't coming to me at the moment. It's not as deep a genre as I would like but there are a few decent reads out there.

Gusington

^Cool man, cool. LB which WH40K omnibus are you reading? It's been a year since I finished Space Wolves...next one for me will be Eisenhorn and a nice special order WH40K artbook I picked up.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd