Main Menu

Coup in Burma

Started by Labbug, February 01, 2021, 10:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I wish I knew more about Burma. It is a mystery to me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

I suspect this coup is more a confirmation of the de facto reality in Burma for the last few decades.

Aung San kuu kyi was in reality always the public face of the government and so long as she fell in line as their puppet would remain. It seems that she was not sufficiently politically reliable for them any more.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

solops

Burma (Myanmar) has been a military dictatorships for many, many decades. Every once in a while the military  tries "sharing" power with a civilian government  to appease international sensibilities, but it never turns out well. In the 1950s Burma and Britain successfully fought off a Communist insurgency and the military has been entrenched since then. Their success against the commies was one of the primary reasons the USA thought it could win in Vietnam, but we did a poor job of following their model in a situation that had a few different parameters.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin