Main Menu

The Cruel Sea

Started by Pinetree, August 17, 2012, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinetree

Just about finished reading this. Bought an old copy for a buck last year at a book fair and I've only just picked it up. What a brilliant novel, It just sucks you in to the Battle of the Atlantic. The author really knew his stuff. The lifeboat passages were particularly harrowing. Once I've finished the novel, I'm going to watch the film.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Shelldrake

I remember reading this back in high school. Great novel and the movie is really good too. I just finished watching In Harm's Way. Another great film if you like classic John Wayne WW2 movies.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

besilarius

Cruel Sea is a magnificent book.  Monsarrat was writing from personal experience and this made it so much better than what a fiction writer could do.
If your interest in the Uboat war is increased, two other superb books are Bloody Winter, by a US Coast Guard officer, and Martin Middlebrook's Convoy.
Both are quite old, but just superb.  Probably used copies can be had very inexpensively.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.