FL apartment building collapsed

Started by steve58, June 24, 2021, 10:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Dammit Carl!

I'm not a religious person per se, but plenty of folks there are needing some prayers.

Hope they find 'em all alive.

Gusington

Local building inspectors are going to have some explaining to do.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

They managed to pull one boy from the rubble, hopefully they will find a few more. 

Quote from: Gusington on June 24, 2021, 12:17:02 PM

I'm wondering if the collapse was caused by a sinkhole, considering the area it is in.  There is no explosion evident in the video, and with the Oklahomo City bombing, the very well designed building only lost one structural support column which prevented the whole building from collapsing. 
The Miami building was built in 1980 well after the Ronan Point building disaster (London 1968) where a gas stove explosion blew out a poorly built supporting wall and the prefabricated concrete floors collapsed in the badly constructed building.  It is doubtful that in the US the concrete was adulterated such as by using too much sand as the Italian Mafia is accused of, such as in the collapse of the bridge in Genoa in 2018. 

However, mistakes can occur with design, concrete mixing and testing as well as the construction.  Hopefully, if one structural support fails in a building the others should still support it.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on June 24, 2021, 12:17:02 PM

A lot more than local building inspectors are going to have to answer for this. I suspect the bodycount is going to climb sharply. This happened at 1:00 a.m. and the building is more than 80% occupied.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

I would like to know how a building gets to that state without any clues that something bad is imminent.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on June 24, 2021, 04:12:52 PM
I would like to know how a building gets to that state without any clues that something bad is imminent.

Good question.  Apparently it was due for a 40 year inspection.  Guess they need to make it 20 or 30 year inspections. 

Gusington

Does that mean for the last 40 years, since it was built, there have been minimal or even no inspections?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Would guess that it may have something to do with higher water tables affecting foundation(s) & piles (or maybe sinkholes - there was that lake in Florida that went dry lately) moreso than dreamt of when the building was constructed - but I ain't no engineer, so I'm guessing like any other layman.

Certainly expect a serious amount of deep and detailed building inspections to happen now in the area, but don't think DeSantis is going to mandate anything.

Hell, could fully expect a Federal mandate to tighten up inspection times if more buildings prove to be in similarly poor condition.

Gusington

There had to be some obvious telltale signs that something this catastrophic was going to happen, sinkhole, fatigue, rot, or whatever the cause.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Gusington on June 24, 2021, 04:40:32 PM
There had to be some obvious telltale signs that something this catastrophic was going to happen, sinkhole, fatigue, rot, or whatever the cause.

Probably, but if there was such a long time between inspections by certified engineers, then who knows?

And even if there were telltales, then you are looking at the issue of money for repair and I daresay no one wanted to be saddled with that burden.

To wit; I help with bridge inspections in my State. We catalog faults and send them up the chain.  Those guys up there at the State level then have to juggle with what needs fixing, how soon it needs fixing, and if they've the money to do such a thing now or later.

Do not envy anyone who has to make those decisions.

Gusington

^We are definitely related. My grandfather was a civil engineer and bridge inspector, among other things, in Manhattan, from the 1930s - 1960s. I never really knew him because he died when I was very young but my own father told me he loved that job.

Anyway, without giving too much away, I work for the government now at the State level (in energy). Yes there are tons of red tape to get through for many decisions but sometimes there is a clear path to the right decision, even in government.

No idea what it's like in FL but I still believe that something like this is avoidable at many points and levels.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

TV Reports of complaints from residents when another condo very close by was constructed that the construction was causing shaking inside the condo. There was roof work being done during the day but that could hardly cause building collapse. Surfside is just north of Miami Beach and the condo was close to the beach so a poor foundation is always a concern I would think. Where's Star when we need his professional opinion?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.