Resolution you play pc games?

Started by fran, November 25, 2023, 05:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fran

Hello Grogheads,

My current display is 1920*1080.

I was thinking of upgrading my current display with one that can support a higher resolution.

Would it give me a better in game experience for the expense?

My current gpu is a Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti. Planning to keep the same video card, just looking to upgrade my display.

I don't play first person shooters, current games are Warno and Crusader Kings 3.

Other examples World of Warships or Witcher 3 on occasion.

Thanks

Gusington

I play at 3440 x 1440 - playing Witcher 3 at that resolution will make you very happy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

5120x1440, the gentleman's resolution.   :tophat:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I love the framed picture over the monitor on the right. Fokker?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 25, 2023, 05:02:57 PMI love the framed picture over the monitor on the right. Fokker?

Albatros DIII.

When my old Red Baron 1 manual started to fall apart I salvaged all the plane sketch art pages and framed them.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: fran on November 25, 2023, 05:32:06 AMMy current display is 1920*1080.

I was thinking of upgrading my current display with one that can support a higher resolution.

Would it give me a better in game experience for the expense?

My current gpu is a Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti. Planning to keep the same video card, just looking to upgrade my display.

I don't play first person shooters, current games are Warno and Crusader Kings 3.

Other examples World of Warships or Witcher 3 on occasion.

Thanks

Your question wasn't really answered here, so allow me to venture this.

Will you get a better game experience past 1080?  Yes, at times.  At times no.

Going to 4k is fine but it will bother your frame rate and you might not find it as amazingly better than what you had at 1080.

So it's to if you want the 1440 ultra wides.  And...maybe.

It's up to what you play.

I game on a 49" monitor.  It's not always ideal. It's amazing for flight sims and some FPS games.  It's super awesome for big screen hungry games like CMO.  It's not as good for some Wargames.

I won't ever go back to 16:9 but there are advantages to the format.

My suggestion is to just try things out and do what you like.  It's not going to be the same for everyone.

Redwolf

One reason to go 4k is the ability to watch 4k movies on the same screen.

The graphics power required for games at that resolution in enormous, though.

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Redwolf

3840x2160 at 100 dpi (no scaling required). Comes to a 43" diameter.