Flames of War V1 Mini

Started by LongBlade, September 06, 2012, 09:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Battlefront has released images of upcoming minis. About the fourth one down on this page is a pic of the cast of a V1 rocket. It never even went through my mind that someone would make one of these, but here it is.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3464
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

That's pretty cool, but how practical is it in a FoW scenario?

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on September 06, 2012, 09:06:45 AM
That's pretty cool, but how practical is it in a FoW scenario?

My guess is that it will be an objective more than actual combat unit. The game already includes stuff like Nebelwerfers (which in sufficient quantity can pack quite the punch). Given the V1's strategic mission I doubt it will have any tactical value in the game. More likely it's a case of "attempt to capture this location before turn X otherwise it launches." *That* could be a fun scenario to play.

TheCommandTent

^That makes sense.

If nothing else it could be a cool model to have sitting out on display.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 06, 2012, 06:26:29 PM

Agreed. That's always my fallback position, too.

On a related note, I was watching a show on the military channel the other day. Know what the Brit's countermeasure to the V1 was?

Have a Spitfire pull up along side of it, slide a wing under, and then oh-so-artfully flip it over. At like 350 miles per hour.

Talk about brass balls. No wonder they were the Greatest Generation.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on September 06, 2012, 07:31:58 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 06, 2012, 06:26:29 PM

Agreed. That's always my fallback position, too.

On a related note, I was watching a show on the military channel the other day. Know what the Brit's countermeasure to the V1 was?

Have a Spitfire pull up along side of it, slide a wing under, and then oh-so-artfully flip it over. At like 350 miles per hour.

Talk about brass balls. No wonder they were the Greatest Generation.

I have heard similar stories involving US pilots in the P-51s.  I just wasn't ever sure if that was true or not.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

For LB:

The wingtips didn't actually have to touch as the turbulence near the top of tips was enough to increase the other wing's lift and send the Doodlebug sharply off course.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 06, 2012, 09:13:18 PM
For LB:

The wingtips didn't actually have to touch as the turbulence near the top of tips was enough to increase the other wing's lift and send the Doodlebug sharply off course.

Brass. Balls.

Bison

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on September 06, 2012, 11:24:34 PM
For LB:

Brass. Balls.

You said it!  :o

Why wouldn't they just shoot it down...?  ???

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on September 07, 2012, 11:17:08 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 06, 2012, 11:24:34 PM
For LB:

Brass. Balls.

You said it!  :o

Why wouldn't they just shoot it down...?  ???

I don't know.

Perhaps the explosion would endanger the intercepting plane?

The show I was watching indicated that this was done over the countryside in order to minimize damage. Maybe shooting it down didn't interrupt the trajectory sufficiently? I just don't know.

Staggerwing

Most V1's were shot down in the attempt to cause the things to explode before hitting anything. They were tiny things and hitting them from a safe range was probably difficult. Guns would jam after sustained fire sometimes or a plane could be low on ammo. Can't let it get away, though! Risk it all for Old Blighty!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

For LB:

Awesome find!