Horus Heresy novels

Started by Hiimori, January 02, 2013, 04:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiimori

I can't believe there isn't a thread about the Horus Heresy novels series yet - so I decided so start the official "Everything about the Horus Heresy novels" thread here and now!

The Horus Heresy novels are published by Black Library and there are so many questions regarding this series, single books, or legions / factions / characters scattered over this board that I got the feeling that a central place to go would help a lot  8)

What are the Horus Heresy novels about?

The "Horus Heresy" was a short but crucial civil war, taking place 10,000 years before the events portrayed in the Warhammer 40k universe. It provides the background story and is the backbone of WH40k. Or to rephrase this: "This is how it all began" (and why the WH40k universe is so dark, dystopic, and chaotic today :P).

Don't worry, I won't tell the background story of the Horus Heresy here (I did extensively in my review of the Horus Heresy board game on our HFC website here: http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/review-horus-heresy-ffg/, sorry for the self-promotion, couldn't resist ;)).

Just a very short (and somewhat cheesy) summary of the events: There were 18 original Space Marines Legions in the Imperium of Mankind, led by a god-like Imperator... and some of them became traitors and joined the Forces of Chaos, led by 4 Chaos Gods. These Legions were corrupted and mutated and began fighting the Imperium of Mankind and their own brother legions in a 7 year long civil war.

The novels tell the various storylines during and before the civil war. There are written in a nonlinear fashion; after reading the first 3 novels in succession, you are free to read the rest of the novels in any order you like. Are you a fan of the Thousand Sons Legion? Jump to "A Thousand Sons - all is dust", followed by "Prospero Burns". Do you like the Mechanicum? Read about its fall to the Dark Mechanicum in "Mechanicum: War comes to Mars".

Since all novels are good (some are great), it is highly recommended to read them all, even if a topic doesn't interest you at first glance, because each novel adds a piece to the puzzle. Many characters are recurring in major and minor roles through various books, and many books refer to events portrayed in other books. If you don't have a favorite faction you can't wait to read about, I would recommend to read the books in order. The events described in the books are not necessarily chronological, but by reading them "as published" you get the most out of them and won't miss minor details which were hinted at in earlier books and fleshed out in later books.

Where do I start if I want to get into the Horus Heresy / WH40k universe?

Simple enough - start with books 1-3 in chronological order. These books should be read first (I would also count book 5 to this "first reading" recommendation, but this may be subjective because I'm somewhat biased towards the Emperor's Children Legion :P).

Books 1-3 are the definite introduction and "how it all began" and you will learn how Primarch Horus became Warmaster and how he was corrupted by Chaos. The first three books are the ultimate way to get into the complex Horus Heresy storylines. Each following book fleshes out the events of the first three books, describes what happened afterwards, spotlights single characters or factions or groups, or tells the same story from a different (sometimes even opposing) perspective. With each book, the universe gets richer.

There are also many cliffhangers, surprising twists and turns, shocking moments and very unexpected events, so once you started reading the series, it becomes highly addictive ;)

I like to read about Legion [fill in your favorite legion here]... is there a book about it?

Since the Horus Heresy takes place 10,000 years before the events of WH40k, not all Legions existed then. You must keep in mind that at first there were only 18 Legions led by their respective Primarchs. Roboute Guilliman of the Ultramarines hadn't written his Codex Astartes yet, which forced large Legions to break down into various chapters, so during the Horus Heresy, the largest original Legions counted up to 250,000 Astartes (better known as "Space Marines").

If you are a fan of a recent chapter (for example Flesh Tearers, Corsairs, Black Templars), you won't find any of them during the Horus Heresy because they were installed after the civil war during the "Second Founding". Only the original 18 Legions are portrayed here, and chapters were unknown then.

If you are a fan of one of the original Legions, though, or of other factions (the Mechanicum, the Adeptes Custodes, Chaos demons, the Remembrancer Order, the Imperial Army, the Officio Assassinorum, astropaths...) you won't be disappointed either, each of these groups gets much screen time, some even entire books without any major Space Marines characters.

Most books are written from a subjective and limited point of view, which is a very clever (and quite immersive) stylistic device. The reader often doesn't know more than the main characters and is completely taken by surprise by the turns and twists of the storyline.

The books are rich in variety - overall, they belong to the genre of Military Science-Fiction, but they don't deal with space-battles, ground-battles, and war all the time, but offer a very deep and rich insight into a complex universe. The tenor of the series is, as the entire WH40k universe, dystopic, brutal, and dark.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Hiimori

List of books published so far

Here is a quick (and spoiler-free) overview about the books published so far:

• 1. Horus Rising: the seeds of Heresy are sown
This book should be read first. It describes how Primarch Horus with his Lunar Wolves Legion (who later became the "Sons of Horus") rises to power. It is written from the (very subjective and limited) perspective of a Space Marines Captain and gives a very good first insight into the setting and basic storyline.
  • 2. False Gods: the Heresy takes root
This books should be read directly after book 1 and picks up where book 1 ended. Here, Horus' fall to Chaos begins and the reader learns much about Chaos and Imperial religion.
  • 3. Galaxy in Flames: the Heresy revealed
The Civil War erupts with a very big (and very shocking!) bang...
  • 4. The Flight of the Eisenstein: the Heresy unfolds
This novel deals with the 14th Legion "Death Guard" and takes place during the initial battle at Isstvan III. Main character is Space Marines Captain Garro (who became so popular that he later got his own series of Horus Heresy audio books).
  • 5. Fulgrim: visions of treachery
Book 5 deals with the 3rd Legion "Emperor's Children" and their Primarch Fulgrim's fall to chaos. This legion was one of the first to succumb to Chaos (to Chaos God Slaneesh, to be precise, who promotes excess and perversion, so you know what to expect...).
  • 6. Descent of Angels: loyalty and honour
There are several books about the Dark Angels Legion and this is the first of them. The Dark Angels get a lot of screen time in this series and this book takes place several years before the Horus Heresy. It tells the history and founding of this Legion and could be very interesting for Dark Angels fans because it adds much fluff to them.
  • 7. Legion: secrets and lies
As the name indicates, this book is about the highly secretive 20th Legion, Alpha Legion. It is told from the perspective of soldiers from the Imperial Army and offers much insight into the thoughts and feelings of the common Imperial grunt (and how he sees and what he thinks about Space Marines)
  • 8. Battle for the Abyss: my brother, my enemy
As expected, the Ultramarines Legion (who are one of the most popular Space Marines legions) are also featured in various books. This is the first Ultramarines novel within this series. In this book, they are confronted with the (traitorous) Word Bearers Legion who try to attack the Ultramarines home world.
  • 9. Mechanicum: war comes to Mars
This book isn't about Space Marines or Primarchs - it is focused around the technocratic Mechanicum on Mars and how they are drawn into the civil war.
  • 10. Tales of Heresy
This is the first collection of short stories (or novellas). The most remarkable stories are about the Adeptes Custodes, the Imperial body guard, and the Silent Sisters, a secret order who hunts Psykers. Another story tells the background story of Primarch Angron and how he first met his Legion, the "World Eaters".
  • 11. Fallen Angels: deceit and betrayal
This is the second Dark Angels novel. It picks up where book 6 ended and tells how the Dark Angels were drawn into the Civil War.
  • 12. A Thousand Sons: all is dust...
As the name indicates, this novel is about the Thousand Sons Legion and their Primarch Magnus. It has a very desperate tone because Magnus always tried to help Horus to free himself from the influence of Chaos. Today, the Thousand Sons are one of the most popular Chaos Legions, but in this novel, they are desperately trying to prove their loyalty to the Emperor... and the reader learns how they were "mobbed" into Chaos by the other Legions because of personal animosities.
  • 13. Nemesis: war within the shadows
Another book which isn't centered around Space Marines or Primarchs. It tells the story of the Officio Assassinorium, a secret Imperial organization. Assassin's Creed anyone?
  • 14. The First Heretic: fall to Chaos
This novel is about Primarch Lorgar and his Word Bearers Legion. The Word Bearers were (together with the Emperor's Children) among the first Legions to switch sides and join the forces of Chaos. This book describes events many years before the Horus Heresy and gives some insight into how the Word Bearers were alienated and humiliated by their brother Legions - which eventually led to their fall into Chaos.
  • 15. Prospero Burns: the Wolves unleashed
The first book about the Space Wolves Legion and their battle against the Thousand Sons. In a way it depicts the events of the 12th book from an opposing perspective, but also offers much insight into the culture and history of the Space Wolves.
  • 16. Age of Darkness
Another short story / novella compilation. The stories take place during several events depicted in other novels and refers to many events in the other books, so it shouldn't be read first.
  • 17. The Outcast Dead: the truth lies within
This book is written from another interesting and uncommon perspective because the main character is an astropath of the Ultramarines Legion. It's about conspiracies, traitors, and offers very valuable background information while setting the course for the following books.
  • 18. Deliverance Lost: ghosts of Terra
The 19th Legion "Raven Guard" and their Primarch Corvus Corax had been mentioned in other books before (including some minor appearances), but this book is centered around them and Alpha Legion.
  • 19. Know No Fear: the battle of Calth
The second book about the Ultramarines picks up where book 8 ended and offers more information about the events in book 14. It is written in a somewhat strange and logbook-style which takes some getting used to because it uses the present tense. Nevertheless, an important book about a major battle.
  • 20. The Primarchs
Another short story / novella compilation, centered around the Primarchs of various legions. One story directly picks up the events of book 5 (Fulgrim's fall into Chaos), so book 5 should be read first. Other featured Primarchs are Dark Angel's Lion El'Johnson, Alpharion, and Ferrus Manus. There is also some stuff about the Eldar, if you are interested in this faction.
  • 21. Fear to Tread: the Angel falls
A book which was eagerly-awaited by the community: the first novel about the popular Blood Angels Legion and their Primarch Sanguinius. The Blood Angels had appearances in other books of the series, but this deals with them exclusively.
  • 22. Shadows of Treachery
Another short story / novella compilation, most of them centered around the Nights Lords and the Imperial Fists Legions.
  • 23. Angel Exterminatus: flesh and iron
This book will be published in January (it has been published as an audio book before). It is about the Legions who joined the forces of Chaos and their conflicting motives and ideologies. The most prominent Legions featured in the book are the Iron Warriors with Primarch Perturabo and the Emperor's Children with Fulgrim.

In addition, there are several audiobooks (with exclusive stories which were never published in books), which are also very good.

Now you are cordially invited to join the discussion! Which are your favorite factions or Legions? About which events or Legions or factions would you like to read in future books?

Do you have any questions about where to start, what to do and who is who?

(Also, try to keep the thread spoiler-free by marking comments about key events with a spoiler tag and by using white font. Thank you  ;))

www.homefrontcenter.de

Hiimori

Black Library announced a new Horus Heresy novel: "Betrayer", which will be released as paperback in April 2013.

It will pick up the events of the two Ultramarines books (8 and 19) during the Battle for Calth, but will also be centered around the Lorgar and his Word Bearers as well as Angron and his World Eaters Legions.

A trailer for the new book can be found here:

http://youtu.be/WSKExlXmEpo

www.homefrontcenter.de

undercovergeek

its all in the 'what are you reading' thread but its nice to see it all here laid out

Jarhead0331

Great series. I've read them all. I've heard some of the audio only books are very good, as well. 

On a totally unrelated note, I cannot figure out why you have that bastard traitor Fulgrim as your avatar.  In you, I sense corruption.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

Hiimori you brilliantly summarized the Horus Heresy story.  I'm only on book 10 as you can see from my avatar but ever since I started reading the series NOTHING...ELSE...MATTERS.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Martok

If I ever manage to get into 40k (one of these days!), would this series be a good starting point?  Or is there another book/series that would better serve as an introduction to the universe? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2013, 06:21:41 PM
Great series. I've read them all. I've heard some of the audio only books are very good, as well. 

On a totally unrelated note, I cannot figure out why you have that bastard traitor Fulgrim as your avatar.  In you, I sense corruption.

+ 10

Any time is a good time for pie.

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on January 03, 2013, 01:28:46 PM
If I ever manage to get into 40k (one of these days!), would this series be a good starting point?  Or is there another book/series that would better serve as an introduction to the universe?

+1
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Hiimori

Quote from: Martok on January 03, 2013, 01:28:46 PM

I'd say this series is a very good introduction (maybe the best) to the WH40k universe. It tells the background story of the modern WH40k universe and introduces the reader to many important factions, characters and Space Marines Legions.

It is also a good approach because it's simply more practical to read the Horus Heresy books than to find your way through the recent WH40k fluff. Okay, there are many books about modern-day Legions and factions, the most popular factions even got an Omnibus or two with collected stories, but in my opinion, you already have to know where to look and who's who in order to know which books will be of interest to you. Many books require knowledge about the WH40k universe and it's not an easy feat to find introductory books in this vast library.

The Horus Heresy gives a nice step-by-step-introduction, and once you have read the first 5-6 books, you will get a quite clear impression. You may also discover a faction which interests you most (for example, you learn that you like the Ultramarines or the Mechanicum or the Imperial Army), and from that point on, it will be easier to navigate the "recent" WH40k literature and find books of your field of interest there.

www.homefrontcenter.de

undercovergeek

^^ this for Martok - definitely the right place to start

Gusington

I started with the first Space Wolves omnibus. Am I doomed?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Nope, no taint. 

Come on now, let's keep our minds in the context of this discussion!  Sheesh!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

^Are you talking to yourself [again]?

The Space Wolves first omnibus was my first and only read into WH40K. I've also read some Luther Huss in regular Warhammer. On deck I have:

Eisenhorn
Titanicus
The Gothic War omnibus
Priests of Mars
The Founding
Pariah

and for regular WH The Vampire Wars and Thunder and Steel...what to read next??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

I've read some of the short stories about Gaunt as well as a few of the Space Marines but the only 'big book' collections I've read are Eisenhorn and Ravenor. I highly recommend reading both to give a 'sociological' background to the WH40k continuum. After reading those two collections it makes the stories set on bleak planes and climes more 'full' with respect to the sense of a very real universal background of countless stripmined planets groaning under the staggering numbers of plebs living out their lives one day at a time in vertical hive cities that are  balanced against other worlds where the powerful bourgeoisie play political games while believing themselves far removed from the Xenos as well as being almost blind to the gibbering horrors of Chaos and the Warp. After all, the Emperor Protects...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys