Lovecraft: What Am I Missing?

Started by LongBlade, July 02, 2013, 11:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

OK,

I picked up the Kindle anthology of HP Lovecraft.

I'm slogging through the first story about some guy in the Antarctic (At the Mountains of Madness).

While I can appreciate the setting, the prose is awful. It's like Lovecraft took a sophomore level thesaurus and stuck it in a blender. He uses lots of big words but all they do is get in the way of what might be an otherwise good story.

As an editor I'm pulling out my hair trying to force myself to enjoy a story that is not well told.

Why is this guy being hailed as anything other than a really poor writer? Does it get better? Are any of the stories worth reading?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

Two things:

1.  His stories vary wildly regarding their quality.  Some of the stories in your anthology he probably wrote when he was like 14 or something.
2.  They're cult popular.  Not everyone gets it.  I didn't really care for the Lovecraft stories I read either. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Thanks.

This first one is painful.

I finally gave up. Looked at the first short story. Not great either, though it was written in 1916 IIRC and may have been when he was young. Even then it was far too wordy to be useful.

Hopefully someone can recommend something decent worth reading.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on July 02, 2013, 11:37:56 PM
Thanks.

This first one is painful.

I finally gave up. Looked at the first short story. Not great either, though it was written in 1916 IIRC and may have been when he was young. Even then it was far too wordy to be useful.

Hopefully someone can recommend something decent worth reading.

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on July 03, 2013, 12:32:37 AM
Try Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Some friend....  a little self discovery that doesn't involve his hands would be good for LB   ;)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on July 03, 2013, 08:30:55 AM
Thanks for the imagery.

You have to admit, it was very Lovecraftian.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

I'd say go for something popular like Call of Cthulu or something like that.  If that doesn't satisfy you, likely it's time to move on.  I'm assuming you're looking for a Lovecraft recommendation. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

hes a Som'bitch favorite.  what else need be said.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

Quote from: Gusington on July 03, 2013, 12:32:37 AM
Try Shadow Over Innsmouth.

+1

I also enjoyed The Rats in the Walls and The Thing On The Doorstep.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

eyebiter

Try one of the HP Lovecraft movies instead?

http://www.hplovecraft.com/popcult/moviestv/based.aspx

Dagon, From Beyond, and Reanimator are three worth watching.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys