Space Hulk: Death Angel

Started by PanzersEast, January 14, 2014, 05:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

Finally won my first game last night and all of my Marines survived... before then  I have been slaughtered  and picked off by some mega stacks. 

Overall I really enjoy the game and like the mechanics... I just purchased Deathwing and Tyranid expansion, I own mission 1 and marine pack 1 but have not played them as of yet.

Death to Heretics!

PE

Arctic Blast

It's a fun little game, and all in a box smaller than one of my shoes. Yet every single expansion fits in there, too.

The Tyranid expansion is excellent. Personally, I ignored the rules and just shuffled the whole thing into the standard Tyranid decks. It adds a lot of variety when you suddenly draw a Lictor and a Hormagaunt, rather than more Genestealers.  ;D

PanzersEast

Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 14, 2014, 05:32:54 PM
It's a fun little game, and all in a box smaller than one of my shoes. Yet every single expansion fits in there, too.

The Tyranid expansion is excellent. Personally, I ignored the rules and just shuffled the whole thing into the standard Tyranid decks. It adds a lot of variety when you suddenly draw a Lictor and a Hormagaunt, rather than more Genestealers.  ;D

Looking forward to the Tyranids..... I am playing the Mission 1 and Marine 1 packs now.  I really enjoy the game a lot and will probably do the same and just mix the cards together for randomness and continue to mix things up.  I was hoping for more expansions, maybe some green skins etc.... but, it looks like it will not happen... Mission Pack 2 or Marine Pack 2 please!

PE

BanzaiCat

You bastards. I just ordered it off of Amazon. Just what I need, more games! :P

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2014, 01:25:12 PM
Is this game solitaire?

Yes, it has 1-6 players.  I am writing a review of it but posted an overview on my site.

http://www.linesofcommand.com/?p=58

The PC game is based on this game where you lead a squad of Marines on a derelict space ship and try and recover it.  I now have all of the expansions for the game and I have really enjoyed it.  Get ready though!!! It is tough winning this game and you never now how each game will progress. 

PE

Death to Heretics!

RAIN DOWN DEATH!!!!

Nefaro

During the Fantasy Flight Games Xmas sale, I picked up the Deathwatch WH40K RPG Core rulebook and a couple expansion books with the intention of primarily gaming out space hulk missions with a more detailed & persistent character advancement system.  One of the expansion books has much dedicated to just that. 

However, this still entices me.  I do enjoy a card-driven strategy game.  Perhaps I'll see if there are some play vids on the 'Tube.

Edit:  Although it's not WH40k, the Lord of the Rings co-op LCG from FFG also seems to be a pretty popular solitaire-capable card game.  All of the above are 'on my list'.

BanzaiCat

[Gusington-esque girlish squeal]

Space Hulk: Death Angel just arrived in the mail! I didn't think I'd get it until tomorrow. Sweeeeeeeeeet.

spelk

Marco does a review of the game:

JasonPratt

I've had my eye on the SH solitaire card game, and the LoTR LCG (with all its various expansions but mostly the two Hobbit ones, since my nieces might be interested in watching me and possibly their Dad get slaughtered ;) ) for a while.

Just how necessary is the core LotRLCG to the two Hobbit expansions anyway? They look from everything I've seen like complete overhauls for the purposes of the story. What's still left from the original set that would be needed?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 17, 2014, 07:32:35 PM

Just how necessary is the core LotRLCG to the two Hobbit expansions anyway? They look from everything I've seen like complete overhauls for the purposes of the story. What's still left from the original set that would be needed?

I've not played it, and am curious about the system too.  Perhaps we should make a new thread on it and ensnare someone who's played it?

Arctic Blast

For the LCG's, you pretty much have to start with the core box. Then you can pick and choose what you want to add on from there.

PanzersEast

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 17, 2014, 07:32:35 PM
I've had my eye on the SH solitaire card game, and the LoTR LCG (with all its various expansions but mostly the two Hobbit ones, since my nieces might be interested in watching me and possibly their Dad get slaughtered ;) ) for a while.

You have to have the core to play.  I have it and have enjoyed it quit a bit. The quest get really tough however, but I highly suggest starting out with the core box and playing through that several time before spanning out (Core box is required for all expansions).  There are several expansions you want before others and I have a list somewhere.  I have not purchased any yet as I am still playing the core game.  The core box has some very good cards as well that are included.

This is a great website for looking at cards and seeing what come in which expansion deck http://www.lotrlcg.com/

PE

Nefaro

Since Amazon still has a nice discount going on some Fantasy Flight stuff, I grabbed Space Hulk: Death Angel along with the Tyranid and Mission Pack expansions.  Unfortunately the free shipping from Amazon option wasn't available this time so it's obviously being fulfilled by some brick & mortars.  Still can't complain about $5.60 in shipping I suppose.

After recently getting into another co-op card game, I think this one will fit in nicely too.

JasonPratt

Yes, I just picked it up and all its current expansions, too. Got the base game and the first mission pack and first space marine pack (apparently not deathwing yet) yesterday. (Deathwing and Tyrannid packs are coming.)

Read the instructions, seems legit. Shall meander the net looking for "campaign" conversions, or perhaps build my own from the missions if possible. (The Deathwing campaign from the first computer game seems like it would need a few cards from the Tyrannid expansion, if not the Deathwing expansion per se. The implication from the rules, at least from the color text, seems to be that the "Sin of Damnation" campaign missions can be recreated with the core mission cards...?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!