Vassal?

Started by nelmsm, August 10, 2023, 04:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelmsm

Anyone here play board wargames on Vassal?  I just finished playing a scenario from World at War '85 this afternoon and it was great fun.  It plays on Table Top Simulator as well but haven't figured out all the buttons on that one yet.  Looks like just about any game has a Vassal module so if anyone has any interest let's see if we have any games in common.

W8taminute

There are quite a few of us here I suspect who like to game on Vassal, myself included.  I prefer playing solo as I can control the game in the way I want to play but I have dabbled in several multiplayer sessions. 

Jason and I along with some others recently completed Fire in the Lake.  I also like to play Vietnam: 1965-1975, ACW (GMT re-released version), and a few other games.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

nelmsm

I just finished a Fire in the Lake as well.  Great fun and it came right down to the end.  Started a Vassal ACW (GMT) but I believe my opponent abandoned it.  Thinking of starting a GCACW game.

SlagDog

I used is a lot back when Silent War from Compass games came out. It made set-up and take-down so much easier then setting up the table top game. I also used it for Command and Colors tournaments I played in a million years ago. I have also used it for the stripped down ASL mods for solo play. You are right there is a million and one game mods for it. But these days I'm fine with playing the Steam versions of many of my favorites, like Nations at War, Lock n load tactical and the like. Vassal is a very slick game system and works great and the community is passionate about getting each mod right.

ArizonaTank

I am a long time vassal player, and comfortable with Table Top Simulator as well.  I have a bunch of games PM me if you are still interested  in playing something.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

If I'm playing a solo board game (and there isn't a good digital version), I'm more likely to play a TTS module if I can find one, even if I have to polish it up myself for a private module.

I use VASSAL primarily for asynch multiplayer. Which some board games aren't well-designed for: I wouldn't bother trying Genesis again by Vassal asynch for example! -- but I'd definitely consider Time of Crisis someday. (Genesis no doubt would work better in live play, whether Vassal or TTS.)

That said, VASSAL has modules TTS still doesn't have, having been around longer, and I'd definitely consider it for solo play.

Hey, W8, how feasible is that Nam game for solo play? I always regarded it as a rather fiddly 2-player game (based on a couple of AARs admittedly, not experience), and I can't imagine it solo.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

nelmsm

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 12, 2023, 10:22:56 AMI am a long time vassal player, and comfortable with Table Top Simulator as well.  I have a bunch of games PM me if you are still interested  in playing something.

I'll do that.