What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I still have no frakking idea why I bought it. Demonic possession maybe?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

James Sterrett

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 04, 2017, 06:32:23 PM
Would love the Designer Edition, but not for two hundred bucks!  :o

Would you love it for $400?

(You've established you are willing, we are simply ascertaining your price.   :D  )

Note that I, er, do not want to see photographs of the, er, event.

BanzaiCat

Have you played it yet, Stags, or is it still in the box?

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Quote from: bob48 on October 05, 2017, 05:59:53 AM
..unassembled.....

Quite so I'm afraid.

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 05, 2017, 05:45:24 AM
Have you played it yet, Stags, or is it still in the box?

SIB. One of these days though...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

LOL ;D

I haven't looked at an unboxing of the DE version so all I know right now is the DE has tons more counters than the 'normal' version. After having seen a lot of vids on the basic version, in person I'm surprised that the board seems a lot smaller than it was in the videos. Though the counter mix and detail is just perfect for me, I think. I might get the Reinforcements pack though I'll wait and see. Not sure I want a battle with six Ogres or not.

A friend of mine that does game nights has the DE, so I've seen the box in person but not what's inside of it.

Thing is, back in the day I had zero interest in OGRE. I mean, at the time I'd think, "how can that be fun? One leviathan tank getting tink-tink-tinked by lots of little guys, whittling it down slowly, hopefully enough to stop it?" Now I think it's quite cool.  8)

Cyrano

It is written in Grogheads lore that I bought the DE from Amazon in a fir of rage of the floor of Origins because of the absurd price SJG was charging for its "last few boxes".

I am of two minds.

On one hand, it is a glorious orgy of cardboard.  Really nothing like it.  For my 50th birthday, Panzerde et al. came over and we ran Exercise K.  The result was most memorable:

http://kriegsspieler.blogspot.com/2016/10/ogre-desgners-edition-exercise-k.html?spref=fb

One must also mention the free app that makes running the game even easier, although it takes away the joy of dice rolling.

On the other, it is still "just" OGRE/GEV which are indeed fairly simple games -- just in a really, really big package.  There's also a weird disconnect between the glorious 3D ogres and the fact that every other unit is a counter.

Bottom line, I like it and wouldn't sell it, but the prices for which it's beginning to go are silly.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Cyrano on October 05, 2017, 09:37:42 AM
but the prices for which it's beginning to go are silly.

Depends on your definition of "silly," I suppose. $224 is not silly, it's way out of reach for me. But for the content, I get how it's a decent price. Unless you're talking even sillier prices than that...

mirth

True Grognards do not talk of price.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

True Grognards that have their own defined budgets and ability do not. Mine are based on the whims of surveys and other random events.

mirth

I find your lack of fervor disturbing.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

You haven't seen my office/game room, then.

mirth

BanzaiCat

Considering you have an entire house to plug up with games, I'm guessing your mess is larger than mine.

mirth

I really do need to organize the game collection.