Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on October 01, 2015, 06:29:26 PM
I think the White House has chosen poorly in this whole conflict, and now their impotence and failure is being further mocked by Overlord Putinski & Iran.  Rubbing their nose in it.

I think you're right.

I'm actually starting to feel a bit sorry for Obama. He thought he was so smart. His grand plan looked so good on paper. It looks like reality isn't waiting for him to leave office before proving him wrong.

His foreign policy is a smoking ruin of a middle east. His only "accomplishment" was actually driven by Pelosi and Reid...and it's falling apart. NY's exchange is now in a death spiral and others are predicted to follow.

He has the opposite of the Midas Touch. Imagine - the legacy he leaves is humiliating. And all that's left for him to do is stand impotently with a phone in one hand and a pen doodling caricatures of the Nobel Peace Prize.

I do not envy him one bit.   
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Why do I get the feeling Russia is setting up two long term wars to train troops, Syria in Winter, and Ukraine in Summer.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

^I never thought of it that way.

But it gets hot in Ukraine. And cold in Syria.

Still...interesting.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2015, 09:05:33 PM
^I never thought of it that way.

But it gets hot in Ukraine. And cold in Syria.

Still...interesting.

Compared to Russia, how bad can it be?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

undercovergeek

If this were civ 5 and a nation with a reputation like Russia's came and asked for permission to enter your warzone you'd laugh like a maniac and press no within 2 seconds

Knowing the Russians supported Assad what did they think was going to happen - they were obviously going to attack his direct enemies and threat to power and that's not Isis - even if they looked you square in the eye and said 'we promise'!!

And how is Russia even involved in any diplomatic conversation with anyone - they annexed part of another country, but they're still holding the Olympics, the World Cup and get invited to all the decision making conferences - it's like everyone is 'oh yeah, Ukraine, well..... That doesn't really count'

The country's leadership cannot be trusted about anything..... Ever, as long as Putin is there

bob48

Its very worrying - but I keep asking what can be done. Realistically, no one wants another major war.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

OJsDad

That Bob, is why Putin is getting away with it.  I would have thought Europe, England in particular, would have learned these lessons in the 1930's.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

undercovergeek

theres an obvious agenda here - i find it hard to believe ukraine, syria isnt part of some larger plan - you dont randomly sit in the kremlin rolling dice and seeing which operations to partake in

Staggerwing

Well, Ukraine means defense industries in the eastern part and breadbasket in the western, control of the Black Sea in the south.

Syria? Strategic control of the eastern Med and great influence in the center of the Islamic world.

There may be some opportunism in all of this since Putin's Coming Empire wouldn't be the first to expand serendipitously.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

pawelj

Quote from: OJsDad on October 02, 2015, 06:18:38 AM
That Bob, is why Putin is getting away with it.  I would have thought Europe, England in particular, would have learned these lessons in the 1930's.
People never learn. Putin is essentially replaying Stalin's 1930's policy. Using ISIS as Hitler, he tars the whole opposition with the same brush . ISIS does its best to wreck the opposition, while in reality not being very formidable against a determined military action. In this scenario Assad with Russian help becomes a preferable option to the populace. Meanwhile in Ukraine.......remember Ukraine.

West needs to realize that Russia is a much greater threat to peace then ISIS, and move accordingly, like a permanent US air base in Poland for starters. Welcome to the big time Mr. President, these are not Chicago rules anymore.

"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

OJsDad

When the Iran nuke issue started to gain some traction, it was pointed out that the US had a large military presence in Afghanistan and Iran. 

If you look at what Putin is doing, who lies between Ukraine and Syria.  What does he have to gain by putting the squeeze on them. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

pawelj

Also just as in the 1930's the more desperately the West tries to avoid war, the more likely it's going to get it. Unless it want to surrender.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

pawelj

Quote from: OJsDad on October 02, 2015, 06:55:05 AM
When the Iran nuke issue started to gain some traction, it was pointed out that the US had a large military presence in Afghanistan and Iran. 

If you look at what Putin is doing, who lies between Ukraine and Syria.  What does he have to gain by putting the squeeze on them.
In the long run Putin sees an opportunity to gain the Shea crescent of Syria, Iraq and Iran.
Because you know that if that happens you can wave to the nuclear restrains on Iran good bye.
I wonder what Israel's view is on that outcome?

Sir Slash

No worries. Obama has isolated Russia for her behavior in Crimea and told Assad he has to go. So, problem solved. Now turn in your guns.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 02, 2015, 10:32:24 AM
No worries. Obama has isolated Russia for her behavior in Crimea and told Assad he has to go. So, problem solved. Now turn in your guns.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus