Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Yup.  Obviously the most important thing to consider right now is a 5 year old tweet. 

Sir Slash

The President who says he never tells his enemies what he is going to do, told the Russians what he was going to do so they wouldn't hit by our missiles. I hope he made them promise not to tell the Syrians so they could get out of the way too. War is too complicated for me to figure-out today.  :idiot2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Con

Quote from: Con on April 06, 2017, 09:31:42 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 06, 2017, 09:11:59 PM
There weren't any Russians at that airbase and we gave the Russkis a heads up before the strike.
Lets hope you are right.  What I was reading earlier was that the Russians were pretty deeply embedded with Syrian forces
CNN Now reporting Russians were at the base - and I am guessing our heads up was probably those loud noisy booms and red hot shrapnel is our tomahawks - start ducking
QuoteRussians were present at the base the US struck Thursday night, a US defense official said, though the role of those Russians was not immediately known.
Tillerson confirmed that the US military contacted their Russian counterparts about the attack ahead of time, in accordance with deconfliction policies between the US and Russia over military activities in Syria.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 06, 2017, 09:41:02 PM
Tomorrow, and probably the day after, will provide the answer.

as a cold war kid the phrase "the day after" is sketchy
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MikeGER

the real interesting fact:
As far as we (the public) know the Russian S400 bolstered air defense system didn't engaged the cruise missile wave

- so either Ivan couldn't detect a possible stealthy sub variant in use
or
- they didn't want to give away response time and saturation limits
or
- they just didn't want to waste billions of Rubles on a secondary airbase, where doing harm to Russian soldiers and Russian high grade equipment was avoided as good as possible for good measure
(which is atm a good thing, nobody wants a placeholder war between Sunni (Saudi Arabia) and Shiite (Iran) turn into a global conflict) 

It also was a demonstration of power by the US side that the air defense network can be saturated .... i duno how many launchers the Russians have operational in Syria, but i guess not enuf.       

bayonetbrant

^^^
Or the US called ahead and said "duck"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: Con on April 06, 2017, 10:59:07 PM
Quote from: Con on April 06, 2017, 09:31:42 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 06, 2017, 09:11:59 PM
There weren't any Russians at that airbase and we gave the Russkis a heads up before the strike.
Lets hope you are right.  What I was reading earlier was that the Russians were pretty deeply embedded with Syrian forces
CNN Now reporting Russians were at the base - and I am guessing our heads up was probably those loud noisy booms and red hot shrapnel is our tomahawks - start ducking
QuoteRussians were present at the base the US struck Thursday night, a US defense official said, though the role of those Russians was not immediately known.

That changed from what was initially reported. What a CF.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

CNN reports 6 dead at the Syrian air base. I am guessing none were Russian since the Russians are not freaking out as they would if they took losses.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

6?
I'm not a bloodthirsty warmonger or anything, but it took us 10 tomahawks to kill each dude? Clearly we need to improve our aim
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 07, 2017, 08:22:12 AM
6?
I'm not a bloodthirsty warmonger or anything, but it took us 10 tomahawks to kill each dude? Clearly we need to improve our aim

You can be sure those six are very dead.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on April 07, 2017, 08:34:39 AM
6?

You can be sure those six are very dead.

made me think of this

Pete Dero

6?

A report with some video of the airbase (a belgian reporter could visit the airbase last year and took these images, but without permission) :

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/buitenland/2.49345?eid=1.2944465  (sorry but it is in dutch)

They claim the airbase doesn't have a central building but many smaller buildings, explaining the need for a large number of missiles. 

DoctorQuest

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 07, 2017, 01:20:51 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 06, 2017, 09:41:02 PM
Tomorrow, and probably the day after, will provide the answer.

as a cold war kid the phrase "the day after" is sketchy

You know that's right.....
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JasonPratt

The impression given this morning was that the Hawks were destroyer-launched, although I was thinking of subs, too.

The low casualty count suggests eyes on the ground giving real-time updates to strike coordinates, intended to smack low-pop areas. But I've also heard a major target were the runways themselves. Not many people out there. Although unless those Toms had Durandal capability I don't know how much good cratering the runways would do.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!