Main Menu

DCS F/A-18C

Started by Jarhead0331, July 03, 2017, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Thanks Pete and JH  O0

I didn't get any gaming done at all this weekend so I didn't get to check out comms. Hopefully this week.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

By the time the F-18 is finished, and you guys have fingered it all out, I can just come pick your brains on all the quirks.   :))   :bd:

JudgeDredd

And by then, we'll have moved onto the Tomcat  O0
Alba gu' brath

mbar

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 12, 2018, 11:55:38 AM

Shooting six AIM-54 Phoenix missiles at range at multiple targets.

Jarhead0331

Which means we will have totally forgotten how to fly the F/A-18C... :uglystupid2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Recommendation by Real And Simulated Wars (http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/)

DCS F/A-18C. Looking for a great book with plenty of passages about how it's done in real life?

https://www.amazon.com/Bogeys-Bandits-Making-Fighter-Pilot-ebook/dp/B005SHNO4E/ref=pd_sim_351_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BTTBW1CZQF39VW6P05VT

In Bogeys and Bandits, Robert Gandt takes readers on a thrilling ride in the FA-18 Hornet, one of the fastest, sleekest, and deadliest aircraft in the world. Gandt lived and worked with several pilots learning to fly the Hornet: the identical twins from Middle America; the computer nerd with a penchant for speed; the grandson of a Tuskegee Airman, trying to live up to a proud legacy; and two women dealing with the post-Tailhook world of the Navy. Gandt weaves superb technological details of the Hornet and an insider's look at the highly demanding training program with portraits of the day-to-day lives of these very real people aspiring to fulfill a dream. Bogeys and Bandits will hold readers breathless as they soar through the skies in the cockpit of the fastest and deadliest fighter plane in the world.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 12, 2018, 01:16:57 PM

Which means we will have totally forgotten how to fly the F/A-18C... :uglystupid2:
I know. Such is the life of a spoiled simulation pilot.

I love the hornet - like you, it's grabbed me right in and I was surprised by that. I thought that would be done by the Harrier. But I can't wait to see how the Tomcat turns out.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

^Tomcat was my favorite aircraft growing up. Its what captured my heart and got me obsessed with naval aviation. It would have been a dream to pilot one...

Anyway, yes. I'm really looking forward to it too. If you're interested, and want something to hold you over, a Somalia theater was recently released for Falcon BMS and I believe there is a nicely improved F-14A or B modeled. Of course, avionics are still based off of the Viper, but the pit and exterior models are all Tomcat. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Well - it's a ways away I'm sure. Plenty of Hornet action between now and then.

The sad thing is - like you - I've got most of the aircraft they've sold (apart from WWII) and as much as I really liked them, you just move onto the the next. I keep hoping something will stick. It may be the Hornet. It could be the Tomcat. It might even be something further on.
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Quote from: mbar on June 12, 2018, 12:51:33 PM

Shooting six AIM-54 Phoenix missiles at range at multiple targets.

And having 4 of them fail to ignite and plummet to the ground.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 12, 2018, 04:48:34 PM

The sad thing is - like you - I've got most of the aircraft they've sold (apart from WWII) and as much as I really liked them, you just move onto the the next. I keep hoping something will stick. It may be the Hornet. It could be the Tomcat. It might even be something further on.

Have you given the Mirage a look? I fired it up and flew around the Persian Gulf while waiting for the Hornet and I was really impressed with its speed and power. She was really fun to zip around in...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 12, 2018, 01:16:57 PM

Dammit.

Need a new plan.  :nerd:

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 12, 2018, 07:24:15 PM

Have you given the Mirage a look? I fired it up and flew around the Persian Gulf while waiting for the Hornet and I was really impressed with its speed and power. She was really fun to zip around in...

The Mirage is easy to learn for a 4th Gen fully modeled DCS fighter. 

I found the cockpit and HUD relatively easy to get accustomed to - more minimalist.  Much fun to fly as well, although it's AAMs aren't quite as capable as the FC3 aircraft.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 12, 2018, 07:24:15 PM

Tep - beautiful aircraft and as Nef said, fairly easy to grab a hold of.

That and the Harrier were the two I managed to get into quite well with a relatively easy startup process.

Still can't see myself going back though once I start digging around in the bug.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Still loving this aircraft. It's pretty much all I am playing. I've never been so engrossed in a flight sim that it excluded play with other games.

I just tore it up around Dubai with rockets, bombs and guns. So much fun.

I'm alternating between flying with trackIR and VR headset. I really love flying in VR, but it makes using the cockpit difficult. I've assigned most of the critical keys to the HOTAS, but I find myself still wanting to click buttons in the pit.

Anyway, best module ever.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog