Main Menu

Mare Nostrum

Started by jomni, June 09, 2017, 09:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Quote from: MengJiao on November 05, 2017, 07:41:56 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 05, 2017, 12:02:27 AM
Oh and you will also notice that their are no ships bigger than one square in the game. Which negates many small ships attacking a large one or perhaps visa versa.

A ship can definitely be attacked by multiple ships, either sequentially or at the same time, plus you can use small ships to box in big ships while you unfoul your ram and line up to ram again.  Ships over the size of a sexterces are a problem for the AI as far as I can tell in that the AI builds them for skirmishes far too often and far too many.  I have experimented with a few ships as big as a hepterces but the poor AI will happily build massive fleets of 8s and 10s surrounded by swarms of triremes and tremolas.  In some ways this plays to the AI's strength in that it can coordinate masses of ships and that alone gives them a certain level of fighting power, though it also guarantees that the AI will block itself a lot of the time and have a lot of ships that go out of control (whereupon preservation trumps all apparently to the point that Uncommanded AI ships will more or less run themselves aground or go far from any hope of returning to command...I guess my uncommanded ships would do the same under the same circumstances).  Still the skirmishes are interesting and I don't win many historical battles.

I meant more like from the side by three very small galleys, like happened at Actium. I being also larger ships should be less able to turn in more than just 6 hex increments.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on November 06, 2017, 04:57:45 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 05, 2017, 07:41:56 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 05, 2017, 12:02:27 AM
Oh and you will also notice that their are no ships bigger than one square in the game. Which negates many small ships attacking a large one or perhaps visa versa.

A ship can definitely be attacked by multiple ships, either sequentially or at the same time, plus you can use small ships to box in big ships while you unfoul your ram and line up to ram again.  Ships over the size of a sexterces are a problem for the AI as far as I can tell in that the AI builds them for skirmishes far too often and far too many.  I have experimented with a few ships as big as a hepterces but the poor AI will happily build massive fleets of 8s and 10s surrounded by swarms of triremes and tremolas.  In some ways this plays to the AI's strength in that it can coordinate masses of ships and that alone gives them a certain level of fighting power, though it also guarantees that the AI will block itself a lot of the time and have a lot of ships that go out of control (whereupon preservation trumps all apparently to the point that Uncommanded AI ships will more or less run themselves aground or go far from any hope of returning to command...I guess my uncommanded ships would do the same under the same circumstances).  Still the skirmishes are interesting and I don't win many historical battles.

I meant more like from the side by three very small galleys, like happened at Actium. I being also larger ships should be less able to turn in more than just 6 hex increments.

That's true -- you can't effectively bring multiple small ships to grapple or ram large ships and that's just one of the many problems with the game in terms of representing galley fighting at close range with big hexes.  Things kind of fall apart in the game when lots of ships get tangled up and the AI's tendency to use large ships makes perfect sense given how the game works at the hex level.

Destraex

Each HEX represents something like 50m or so I would say. Meaning that you can fit anything from 2m boat to a 50m Hexeres in the same hex. Effectively making a 2m boat 50m long for boarding purposes. Unless the hexes are dynamic and in fact only their for player mechanics rather than phyiscal aspects. But that matters very little in practice.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on November 06, 2017, 06:05:48 AM
Each HEX represents something like 50m or so I would say. Meaning that you can fit anything from 2m boat to a 50m Hexeres in the same hex. Effectively making a 2m boat 50m long for boarding purposes. Unless the hexes are dynamic and in fact only their for player mechanics rather than phyiscal aspects. But that matters very little in practice.

The hexes seem to be the typical tactical pre-industrial nautical hex size of somewhere between 50 meters or 67 yards (Close Action) and around 120 yards (or something) in Flying Colors, though there's not much detailed modelling of in-hex interactions -- even Flying colors does a bit more with the options available when more than one ship is in a hex....though there the hexes are bigger, but the time frame must be around the same magical/abstract 2-6 minute mark.
  Still its pretty cool and with some tinkering could be a game that could cover a lot of historical territory.

Pete Dero

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2417/Mare.Nostrvm.Tutorials

Its gameplay is pretty simple to understand, but some mechanics are somehow harder to get a hold of. That's why we decided it would have been a good idea to create some tutorials for the game!

In the playlist that you can find below, you will be able to have a fast explanation of how Movement, Command and Combat work.

Might be usefull for someone.

Destraex

This might be more my style! Shame it is single player and looks, like mare nostrum, to be on an antiquated engine with poor game creation skills just like the mare nostrum!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=916874497&searchtext=