Walking dead season 8

Started by ghostryder, October 25, 2017, 01:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on November 02, 2017, 09:00:58 AM
I'm not sure I would have used the word "lesbo".  ::)

it's OK though - he says he's not homophobic
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Quote from: ghostryder on November 02, 2017, 09:11:14 AM
Now we are grasping at straws here people. I never claimed to be Shakespear. I never even claimed I could correctly write a sentence for that matter.  I apreviated the word out of laziness..not bigotry. get a grip people. I mentioned it mainly to add weight to my main premise of the post. Nothing happened. It was an empty episode. Pointing out the LBGT was in fact me saying...."if you had to find any meaning in the episode at all you could point to that".

The negative infired here wasn't towards LBGT but to the overall lack of writing. And that is all it was. The rest was "created' by you guys.
As mentioned - I believe inferred by you and mentioned by others - it seems that perhaps you are taking the agenda thing as being something rammed down your throat by PC people and I think you are getting to that conclusion because of the use of dialogue that "doesn't make sense" in the segments it was in, correct? And also, in the part of the gay guy being shot - so what? He's had 3 minutes, right?

So it's those two specific sections that make you feel like it's PC bullshit and an agenda being forced? (I understand your wider point being the dialogue being poor).

If so - I can see your point though I would argue that it's not valid. Well - it's not valid in the sense that it's not PC BS being forced down peoples throats anyway - or at least as far as I'm concerned. Why?
Because there's been 8 seasons and 4 gay characters out of all the characters that I can recall. That's not a huge amount.

As for the dialogue...I wouldn't say it's worse than some of the other stuff in it - or as pointless either. The guy addressing the lesbian and saying he knows she misses her lover but they've got a job to do - I can't recall the script - but iirc that was because she wanted to kill a guy and she wanted to because her lover had been killed by them. That doesn't seem out of context to me.

As for the gay guy being shot. Regardless of airtime - he was known to be gay and who his lover was and as such when he was shot, his lover was going to be upset.

I'm afraid I just don't agree with your point. In fact, those two sections were probably the ONLY things that have made sense in the 2 episodes I've seen. WTF was Rick having a conversation with the nastiest guy Rick's ever come across when said guy has presented himself as a huge target?

Also - regarding the lesbo thing, that is why there's an agenda at all. Regardless of how you meant it, it is perceived to be derogatory because historically it's been used to be derogatory. The "agenda" - and I wouldn't say that's necessarily the correct term anyway - is to change perceptions so that lesbo isn't the phrase used. I'm sure you used it in a manner not to be derogatory - but given it's always been used in that way, you're just making it harder to say your not homophobic. I'm sure you're not - but using certain language in certain situations might make it difficult to argue the point.

At the end of the day - even if those characters and their dialogue was shoe-horned in - so what? It doesn't really matter. It didn't take away from the program. There was plenty of other stuff to pissed about and even more stuff that made far less sense for those two sections to be completely forgettable imo
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

well.... Fear of the Walking Dead has Mexicans.
one of whom may or may not be gay.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 02, 2017, 11:20:29 AM
one of whom may or may not be gay.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

ghostryder

one of whom may or may not be gay

I haven't bothered with season 3 but I viewed the first 2 seasons. One of the main characters is gay but he's not Mexican. He's Black. He takes the rest of show's character to Mexico to meet up with his lover...who is supposed to be Mexican but is played by a non mexican actor. He get's bitten and dies. The Mexican Mom...who at least appears to be Mexican-- keeps the dead in a cage as she feels even if they are dead they are loved ones that need taking care of. Another main character ends up locking her in that cage to be killed---

the show also stars a drug addict as a hero. his sister is another piece of work. in fact the entire cast is hard to connect with and the show never grabbed me. Hense I don't bother with it anymore.

As to Judge Dread's post--again I linked one line in my multiple paragraph summary of the episode. I'd hardly say I was fixated on it. It was just something I pointed out but the rest of the forum replies sure speak mountains to what political correctness has done to society. What was sold as "to not offend" has actually created modern day witch hunting with the mob ready to burn offenders at the stake. Pure chaos and mob rule--- and sadly the one being burned isn't the only victim either.

GDS_Starfury

dude, you have more issues then Time.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 02, 2017, 04:18:56 PM
dude, you have more issues then Time.

More issues and "Time" shows up afterwards?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Quote from: ghostryder on November 02, 2017, 02:47:06 PM
one of whom may or may not be gay

I haven't bothered with season 3 but I viewed the first 2 seasons. One of the main characters is gay but he's not Mexican. He's Black. He takes the rest of show's character to Mexico to meet up with his lover...who is supposed to be Mexican but is played by a non mexican actor. He get's bitten and dies. The Mexican Mom...who at least appears to be Mexican-- keeps the dead in a cage as she feels even if they are dead they are loved ones that need taking care of. Another main character ends up locking her in that cage to be killed---

the show also stars a drug addict as a hero. his sister is another piece of work. in fact the entire cast is hard to connect with and the show never grabbed me. Hense I don't bother with it anymore.

As to Judge Dread's post--again I linked one line in my multiple paragraph summary of the episode. I'd hardly say I was fixated on it. It was just something I pointed out but the rest of the forum replies sure speak mountains to what political correctness has done to society. What was sold as "to not offend" has actually created modern day witch hunting with the mob ready to burn offenders at the stake. Pure chaos and mob rule--- and sadly the one being burned isn't the only victim either.
I wouldn't burn you at the stake. But I'd like for something so inoffensive to not factor in your critique.

As I pointed out there are lots of things wrong with this season currently - having 4 gay people in it doesn't even come onto my radar. Maybe that's why those two aspects stuck out to me like a beacon in your thread...that it really had absolutely zero bearing on the show or it's impact on me or even that I noticed anything (I mean ANYTHING) at all wrong with either scene's you spoke of.
Alba gu' brath

ghostryder

Good points JudgeDredd.

Starfubar...I don't even know what that sentence means dude. How many beers have you had?

GDS_Starfury

OJsDad

During a zombie apocolypse, all survivors pee the same color
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Quote from: OJsDad on November 03, 2017, 07:49:31 AM
During a zombie apocolypse, al survivors pee the same color

Only Al survivors? What about Bob and Mike etc. survivors?  :P

OJsDad

Quote from: Barthheart on November 03, 2017, 07:51:11 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 03, 2017, 07:49:31 AM
During a zombie apocolypse, al survivors pee the same color

Only Al survivors? What about Bob and Mike etc. survivors?  :P

There, fixed it.  :knuppel2:
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: ghostryder on November 02, 2017, 07:56:39 PM
Starfubar...I don't even know what that sentence means dude. How many beers have you had?

Your know Shakespear you're self.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus