Toys 'R' US Heading for Closure

Started by mirth, March 09, 2018, 09:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

Is Kay Bee still around? I think all the local stores here closed up a while ago.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

I was just going to ask that. I personally haven't been in one for at least 20 years.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

It went bankrupt and what was left (basically the name) was bought by Toys R Us.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Quote from: Gusington on March 09, 2018, 10:04:48 AM
Which JH punched me in my 8 year old balls for.

I loved GI Joe in the 80s!!! Had a great collection that Mom eventually threw away :/

That and Lego. I can never forgive her.

80s GI Joe pales in comparison to 60s & 70s GI Joe!

Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

I wasn't alive in the 60s!

Just looked it up...KB out of business in 2009 :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Punching someone in the balls to get G.I. Joe was exceptable behavior in my day, before or after purchase.  ::)  I remember buying many of my Amiga games at Toys-R-Us--- Red Storm Rising and Pool of Radiance to be sure.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Wow. The Toys R Us stores near me did not carry Amiga games. I had to go all the way in to Manhattan to J&R Music World to buy my Amiga games. What an awesome store that was. I would make a day out of it. They closed too 😥

Added note: sort of on topic, the guy who founded Tower Records died at age 92 this past week. They are also out of business 😥😥

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Nearest Toys-R-Us to me was 45 miles away. Then we got a mall about 30 miles away. That was in the early 90's.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on March 09, 2018, 11:32:05 AM
Kay Bee Toys stocked a few AH games back in the late 80s/early 90s.

working there was my first real job at 15.  a lot of stock went "missing".   ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

besilarius

As a kid, I bought my Avalon Hill games at a hobby store.  Recall that when Guadalcanal came out, a friend and I went over and they had only ordered one copy.  We flipped a coin and he got the copy.   A week later, they got in another copy.
Whenever Squad Leader came out, in that purplish box, we heard Toy R Us carried it.
There was literally two stacks of the game against one wall.  My jaw dropped.  Were there enough folks interested in wargames to carry that many copies?
Also, unlike the hobby shop, they were all discounted from $7.00 down to $4.95.  What a deal!
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bbmike

Toys R Us, KB, Electronics Boutique, Babbages, B.Dalton, Waldenbooks...all of the weekend mall stops in the 80s.  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

^Man I loved all those places. I guess I love Amazon the same way. Bu it doesn't have that new game smell.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

^Ha!
I also forgot to add Camelot Music to that list. That's where I would buy those newfangled CDs.  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Once upon a time the malls had shops that sold all kinds of stuff I liked, electronics, music, games, neat science-y chochkas like those living ecosystem paperweights, toys, fine art posters, furniture, and even artwork by local artists. I really looked forward to a mall trip and would drive a hour to brows the larger ones.

Now all they sell is trendy, crappy, overpriced clothes made by sweat shop slaves in military junta 'republics'.

I don't think I've set foot in a mall in the last 5 years.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 10, 2018, 09:20:27 AM
I don't think I've set foot in a mall in the last 5 years.

Probably been  closer to 10 years for me. Hard to think it was a regular weekend trip at one time in my life.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus