Paradox's Upcoming Game - Imperator: Rome ...Excellent News!

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 19, 2018, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Just an FYI that if you purchase the game from Green Man Gaming, you can use the coupon code SPQR25 and get 25% off.

Don't know if that discount applies to just pre-purchases or includes after the game's release.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Tpek

Quote from: WallysWorld on April 24, 2019, 09:56:18 AM
Just an FYI that if you purchase the game from Green Man Gaming, you can use the coupon code SPQR25 and get 25% off.

Don't know if that discount applies to just pre-purchases or includes after the game's release.

Hopefully they will deliver the keys on time, this time.

Anguille

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 23, 2019, 05:29:32 PM
Strictly speaking (as I thought I noted) it comes from an area of northern Mesopotamia. But that might be considered part of (what is now) Turkey. It's connected to the Uratu area (i.e. Ararat), which is represented notably in the Biblical account by Ashkevaz (or -naz, via a scribal blip) being a grandson of Noah. (Along with Gomer, as previously noted, representing the Cimmarians.)

The term dates outside the Bible back as far as Sargon and the Akkadians, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I was tracing them from northern Mesopotamia up between the Black Sea and the (inland) Caspian Sea to an area of the western Turks (across the Black Sea from where we think of Turkey today -- they didn't have that yet, the Byzantines did), and then westward into Central Europe from there.

Re the Turks coming from the north border of the northern Chinese nation: I read that just the other day in a recent historical overview of world cultures and nations during the Medieval periods. But I gather that they did come to there from somewhere in (north) Central Asia several centuries prior. They weren't Turkish culture when they arrived in what we might call southern Siberia; but they were early Turkish culture by the time they started going back west from north of China, forming two rather large though loose khanate empires along the way (sometimes pulled back into Chinese governance, the eastern khannate more than the western for obvious reasons).
Being a geek for history, thanks for your posts. Very interesting.  :bd:

Grim.Reaper

received my key from fanatical this morning.....but still locked until release time so have to wait until tonight to try it out

Grim.Reaper

saw this snippet from a review, although can't see full review yet because locked

Once you do get up to speed, though, Imperator treats you to one of the most involved and interesting combat systems I've seen in a genre that's usually dominated by crashing giant balls of infantry into each other with winning or losing based on who can bring the greatest numbers to bear. In addition to a plethora of troop types that ranges from infantry to chariots to mounted camels and elephants, each army has access to a set of stances that can counter or be countered by others. Their effectiveness is determined by the troop types in an army, so you can tell what tactics an opponent is most likely to use by scouting out how their forces are composed. If you see a lot of light infantry on the march, they're probably not going to use shock tactics, and those Scythians and their horse archers are potent but predictable. It's tactically interesting and rewards observation and planning, rather than settling with a lame, guess-based rock-paper-scissors system.

Tpek

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 25, 2019, 03:56:04 AM
received my key from fanatical this morning.....but still locked until release time so have to wait until tonight to try it out

Still waiting for the GreenManGaming one.

Pete Dero

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

24 hours release stream is still going on.

4 hours before release (countdown on screen)

Gusington

Thanks for that post on the combat, Grim. Of course now I am reconsidering wrestling with a game system my brain hates in a most likely vain attempt to get to that military bit described in what you posted. Chances of that actually happening? Very low :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

I just bought from Green Man Gaming so I'm awaiting the key as well.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

knightsabret

Just got my key from GMG - keep checking those emails . . .

glen55

Quote from: knightsabret on April 25, 2019, 10:56:58 AM
Just got my key from GMG - keep checking those emails . . .

Ditto. I won't get a chance to play any significant amount before tomorrow at the earliest, but it is downloading away right now. Just a 1.1 GB download.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Father Ted

Quote from: Anguille on April 22, 2019, 04:46:23 PM
Do you know how many provinces does Judea have in Imperator?

Hopefully at least the Judean Peoples' Front and the Peoples' Front of Judea

Anguille

HoodedHorseJoe

Reviews are live, if anyone's interested. Our own (Strategy Gamer), but also T.J.'s is back up on IGN and Fraser on PC Gamer.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.