Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 10, 2016, 05:03:25 PM
During the tutorial, I discovered a planet with an industrialized, but pre-warp race. The tutorial wants me to build an observation post in orbit around the planet, but when I try to do this with a construction ship, I'm told I cannot because it is outside of my controlled space. What am I doing wrong?

You need to get the system within your borders so you'll have to build a frontier outpost over the star first.  Once that's done, then you can build the OP over the planet.  You need to finish researching New Worlds Protocol under Society research before you can build the outpost.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 10, 2016, 05:03:25 PM
During the tutorial, I discovered a planet with an industrialized, but pre-warp race. The tutorial wants me to build an observation post in orbit around the planet, but when I try to do this with a construction ship, I'm told I cannot because it is outside of my controlled space. What am I doing wrong?
Not sure...I'm slowly expanding and haven't come across any issues except not having enough resources from time to time.

Don't you have to build a Frontier Outpost to "expand" you controlled space?
Alba gu' brath

Huw the Poo

Quote from: jamus34 on May 10, 2016, 02:59:54 PM
Hey, I'm the one that wanted to get a multiplayer match right out of the gate but no one responded.

Sorry bud, I usually only play with people I personally know to cut down on time zone frustrations.

Jarhead: SDR is correct, the best (or at least quickest) way is to build a frontier outpost.  Be warned however, they're expensive in influence, both in upfront and ongoing costs.

Handy tip of the day: On the galaxy screen you'll see little resource icons beneath system icons.  If they're white they're available to be exploited (select a construction ship and right-click the system and select "build mining/research stations")...if they're green, you're already exploiting them.

Bonus tip: When you create a sector it will default to providing you 50% of its resource income.  You can adjust this via the empire screen.  If it's a fledgling sector it might be a good idea not to take anything from it until it's established.  From the same screen you can also throw them energy and minerals.

Kushan

Saw on Twitter a beta patch should now be available. Should fix the mid game stutter issue.

I noticed a slight stutter but just assumed it was the ironman autosave.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

bbmike

Quote from: Kushan on May 10, 2016, 06:00:43 PM
Saw on Twitter a beta patch should now be available. Should fix the mid game stutter issue.

I noticed a slight stutter but just assumed it was the ironman autosave.

You can already access it through Steam.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quick Play video up from Giant Bomb.  I like the new guy they hired to cover strategy games.  I just wish they'd keep Vinny away since he just tends to disrupt the whole process (note the batman stupidity he insists upon).

jamus34

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 10, 2016, 05:42:29 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on May 10, 2016, 02:59:54 PM
Hey, I'm the one that wanted to get a multiplayer match right out of the gate but no one responded.

Sorry bud, I usually only play with people I personally know...

Bah, now you had to go and hurt my feelings.   :uglystupid2:
Insert witty comment here.

Freyland

I will personally attest that Jamus is a stand up guy and great to play with.  :smitten:

When he's awake. ;D

Greybriar

Green Man Gaming is offering 25% off Stellaris if you use the code SPACE25 when you buy the game there.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

I don't have a lot of time into the game yet.  Overall I'm liking it though.

I really like the use of Influence.  It like the monarch points in EUIV.  I've never played CKII (I'll fix that during the holiday sales).  But I can see why having some of that game play added into Stellaris would add a lot to the game.

I also like the research mechanics.  I didn't know if I would like it or not, but I do.  I would like to see a game that would add randomizer to the cost and effects of the benefits from research.  i.e. game 1; Research Widget will cost 350 and give you a benefit of +1.  In game 2; Research Widget will cost 370 and give you a benefit of +.8.  This would add a level of having to evaluate which of the 3 options your offered for new research.

I haven't been involved in any combat yet, so I cannot comment on that yet.

I do miss the civilian ships in Distant Worlds.  They added a lot to the game  with needing them to transport resources and people and the need to protect them. 

I also wish the economy more resembled Victoria 2.  Perhaps someday.  I do like the fact that some research can reveal more unknown resources (Civ3?).  But I've always liked a more indepth economy.  Loose your one planet making ship weapons, that would put a crimp in your ship building until you built a replacement factory.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

FYI, Steam pushed hotfix 1.0.1 this morning. 

Steam should update your Stellaris version to 1.0.1 momentarily.

This hotfix contains the following:
- Fixed CTD when showing tooltip for an ambient object that gets destroyed
- Fixed CTD when an ambient object gets destroyed while selected
- Fixed fleets getting stuck trying to use wormhole stations belonging to other empires
- Improved performance issues and fixed issues with stuttering in early game

We are also currently working on a second hotfix that fixes various bugs and stability issues. The work with the first larger patch has also begun, no final release date set for that one yet.

Thanks to all of our players for making space great again!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Rayfer

Just started playing yesterday. Great game, especially the exploration process. Two areas that perhaps I am doing something wrong or should do differently.  First, minerals....very hard to come by yet necessary for building just about anything. I run out quickly leaving my constructor sleeping with nothing to do.  Second, tech research....at the beginning it takes a very looooong time to complete them. Building research centers would help but they require minerals which I used up building mines on asteroids to garner more minerals.  I feel like the dog chasing its own tail. Any suggestions.

Huw the Poo

Rayfer I'm on mobile so very brief post.  Minerals: possible you had an awful start but you should be surveying every system within your borders and telling your constructors to build mining stations everywhere possible.  See my previous post for help with that.

Research: I found it to be very fast early game.  Have you hired scientists and slotted them in appropriately?  Build research stations everywhere possible (just like mining stations) to exploit.  There are innumerable ways to boost research but just building stations wherever you can within your borders and hiring scientists should be more than enough to begin with.  Again, unless you got some unfathomably bad start, but surely paradox's algorithm would prevent that.

Huw the Poo

Also systems have to be surveyed before stations can be built.

JudgeDredd

I also build a military outpost (station? Can't remember what it's called) if I've got two or more mining stations that can be protected by one outpost...saves having to rush a fleet about.
Alba gu' brath